Waves and Sound - Bat Chirp/Echo?

In summary, the task is to determine the minimum distance for an object at which the first part of the echo overlaps the ending of a bat's chirp. The equation used is d = vav x t, where d represents the distance, vav is the average speed of sound in air (344 m/s), and t is the duration of each chirp (3 x 10-4 s). After drawing a diagram and considering the time for the sound to travel to the object and back, the calculated distance is divided by 2 to get the minimum distance of 0.0516 meters.
harujina

Homework Statement

When near an object, a bat decreases the duration of its chirps and the time interval between chirps.
If the chirps last 3 x 10-4 s, what is the minimum distance for an object at which the first part of the echo overlaps the ending of the chirp? Note: the speed of sound in air is 344 m/s.

Homework Equations

d = vav x t ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I have the right idea with this problem. My teacher told me to use the above equation but what does that determine? length?

I don't understand: ...what is the minimum distance for an object at which the first part of the echo overlaps the ending of the chirp?
I drew a diagram (required) of chirps to an object and then the echo off of the object, but still can't figure out how I would find minimum distance.

This is what I tried:
d = vav x t; = 344 m/s x (3 x 10-4 s); = 0.1032 m
I don't even know if that's correct, but I'm stuck at that...

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it means that the bat receives the first part of the echo just as it finishes the burst.

BOYLANATOR said:
I guess it means that the bat receives the first part of the echo just as it finishes the burst.

Okay... I kind of understand it now, but I'm still not sure how I could figure it out.
My teacher also told me something about it having 1.5 total wavelength or something?
I don't know what that means though.

In 3 x 10-4 secs the sound must have traveled to the object and then back to the bat. Can you work out how far the object must have been?

Your teacher was probably talking about constructive/destructive interference of waves but if we have interpreted the question properly this is not relevant.

I thought the 3 x 10-4 s was just the chirp going to the object, and not back?

Wouldn't this be the distance at which the object is at?

No, the time given is the duration of each chirp he makes. But if the first part of the echo arrives back as the bat finishes its chirp, then it must have traveled there and back in that time.

BOYLANATOR said:
No, the time given is the duration of each chirp he makes. But if the first part of the echo arrives back as the bat finishes its chirp, then it must have traveled there and back in that time.
Okay that makes sense.
Since the time given is the time measured when it travels to the object and back, is it correct if I divide the distance I calculated by 2?

0.1032 m / 2 = 0.0516 m

That looks good to me.

Related to Waves and Sound - Bat Chirp/Echo?

1. What is a bat chirp/echo and how does it work?

A bat chirp/echo is a sound wave produced by a bat to navigate and detect objects in its surroundings. Bats emit high-frequency sounds through their mouths or noses, which bounce off objects and return to their ears as echoes. By interpreting the echoes, bats can determine the location, size, and texture of objects.

2. How do bats produce such high-frequency sounds?

Bats have specialized vocal cords and muscles that allow them to produce high-frequency sounds. They can create sounds with frequencies up to 200,000 Hz, which is much higher than the upper limit of human hearing (20,000 Hz).

3. Can humans hear bat chirps/echoes?

No, humans are not able to hear bat chirps/echoes because they are too high-frequency for our ears to detect. However, some bat species produce sounds in the range of human hearing, so it is possible to hear them in certain situations.

4. How do scientists study bat chirps/echoes?

Scientists use a device called a bat detector, which converts the high-frequency bat sounds into audible frequencies that humans can hear. They can also use specialized equipment such as ultrasonic microphones and sonar technology to analyze and record bat chirps/echoes.

5. What can we learn from studying bat chirps/echoes?

Studying bat chirps/echoes can provide valuable insights into the behavior and ecology of bats, as well as their role in ecosystems. It can also help us understand how bats navigate and communicate with each other, and how they have evolved to use sound for survival.