Waves having energy with no mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of waves having energy without mass, which seems contradictory to Einstein's equation E=mc2. However, the proper equation for this is E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2, which takes into account the momentum of photons. It is also noted that gamma rays, a form of electromagnetic radiation, have energy without mass.
Scimaster
Waves have energy without mass which can't be true in Einstein's equation
E=mc2
If you work out that E=0 (mass of waves) times 300,000 c2
then its zero.

Please can someone tell me why waves can have energy but without mass which in einstein's equation cannot be right.

Thank you

Scimaster

Physics news on Phys.org
Scimaster said:
Waves have energy without mass which can't be true in Einstein's equation
E=mc2
The proper equation is
$$
E^2 = (p c)^2 + (m c^2)^2
$$

I guess that when you talk about "waves without mass," you mean light (photons). Photons have momentum, ##p^2 >0 ##, so ##E^2 > 0##.

I was talking about Gamma rays where they have energy without mass

Scimaster said:
It's electromagnetic radiation, so my reply stands. Gamma ray photons have momentum, thus energy.

Scimaster said:

Gamma radiation, like all electromagnetic radiation, has energy and no rest mass - but it's not at rest. If you were to take a box with a perfectly mirrored interior, so that light would bounce back and forth inside... Its mass will be very slightly greater if there is light bouncing back and forth inside than if there were not. As the light is absorbed its energy will be absorbed into the walls of the box as heat, and the mass of the box will not change bevause there's still the same amount of energy in the box.

FAQ: Waves having energy with no mass

1. What is the concept of waves having energy with no mass?

Waves with no mass refer to electromagnetic radiation, such as light and radio waves, which travel through space without any physical substance. These waves have energy and can exert a force, but they do not have any mass or weight.

2. How can waves have energy without having mass?

According to the theory of relativity, energy and mass are interchangeable. Waves, being composed of energy, can exist without having any mass.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and energy in waves with no mass?

The energy of a wave with no mass is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that higher frequency waves have more energy than lower frequency ones.

4. Can waves with no mass be detected or measured?

Although waves with no mass cannot be directly observed, their effects can be measured and detected through various instruments, such as telescopes and radio receivers.

5. What are some examples of waves with no mass?

Some examples of waves with no mass include visible light, radio waves, microwaves, x-rays, and gamma rays. These waves are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which encompasses all types of electromagnetic radiation.