Waves or particles or waves of particles?

In summary, there are different views on the nature of light and its behavior. Some believe it can be compared to waves on a string, while others see it as particles traveling along a path. However, the understanding of light as either a wave or a particle is subjective and may not accurately describe its true nature. The concept of light cannot be compared to any mechanical analogy we know of, and the debate between wave and particle models may lead to a paradigm shift in our understanding of the universe.
W3pcq
What I'm trying to understand is, are light waves like waves on a string, you know where the waves travell along the string, but the string, the source of the wave, ends up in the same place. Or does a photon actually move along the farward path and keep going. Are we being bombarded with particles, are vibrations along "strings" reaching us and interfering? Or?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many opinions on this, and to me I believe that either view is an incorrect view.

To me, the nature of light, the physics of light cannot be compared to any mechanical analogy that we know of. It's like describing the color gold or red to someone who is blind. We switch between the models (wave vs. particle) when we know that one model more accurately describes light in the given circumstances. You can choose to view it either way, but I think the understanding that "in reality" it is neither and "wave" or "particle" is only a subjective human model of light.

Do you consider gravitational effects the doing of a field (with vibrating waves) or particles (little gravity things hitting you)?

I don't know it just seems that the diference between a propigating wave and a projected partice is huge, and the consequinces of one or the other mean complete paradigm shift of how the universe is constructed and operates. I like your answer. I don't think light is like any form of motion familiar to us on earth.

FAQ: Waves or particles or waves of particles?

1. What are waves and particles?

Waves and particles are two fundamental concepts in physics that describe the behavior of matter and energy. Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, while particles are small units of matter that make up everything in the universe. Both waves and particles have properties such as frequency, wavelength, and energy.

2. How can something be both a wave and a particle?

This is a concept known as wave-particle duality, which states that all objects in the universe can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This is due to the fact that at the microscopic level, matter and energy are interchangeable and can exhibit properties of both waves and particles.

3. Can waves and particles be seen?

Waves and particles cannot be seen with the naked eye because they are too small. However, scientists use specialized equipment such as microscopes and particle accelerators to observe and study these phenomena.

4. How do waves and particles interact with each other?

Waves and particles can interact with each other in different ways depending on their properties. For example, light, which is made up of particles called photons, can behave as both a wave and a particle and can interact with matter through absorption, reflection, and refraction.

5. What is the relationship between waves and particles?

Waves and particles are interconnected and can be described by mathematical equations that relate their properties, such as frequency and energy. This relationship is described by theories such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetic theory, which help us understand the behavior of matter and energy at the microscopic level.