Ways to effect an open circuit electronically

In summary: Can you give us more details? What kind of current do want to control (amps)? What is the dynamic thing that will be controlling the switch?i need to dynamically increase the resistance to lower the base voltage.
ramonegumpert
Hello Experts, :)

to cause and open circuit mechanically/electrically, i would use a coil type of switch. I wonder what are some of the electronic ways to effect an open a circuit?

thank you for reading and have a nice day.

best regards
Ramone :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
ramonegumpert said:
Hello Experts, :)

to cause and open circuit mechanically/electrically, i would use a coil type of switch. I wonder what are some of the electronic ways to effect an open a circuit?

thank you for reading and have a nice day.

best regards
Ramone :)

Hi Ramone,

An open circuit could be made electronically through a transistor in the off-region, if I got your question correct.

You could also create a DC open circuit using a capacitor.

Best Regards,
Mohammed Omar

There are many ways to open a circuit electrically. Selecting the best one requires matching the characteristics of the switch to the parameters of the circuit. Some things to consider are the voltage, current, switching speed and control requirements.

From your description of a coil and switch it sounds like you're talking about a relay.

skeptic2 said:
There are many ways to open a circuit electrically. Selecting the best one requires matching the characteristics of the switch to the parameters of the circuit. Some things to consider are the voltage, current, switching speed and control requirements.

From your description of a coil and switch it sounds like you're talking about a relay.

Hi sketpic2,
yes, that is indeed what i was referring to.
thanks for your advice.

sincerely Ramone

mohammed.omar said:
Hi Ramone,

An open circuit could be made electronically through a transistor in the off-region, if I got your question correct.

You could also create a DC open circuit using a capacitor.

Best Regards,
Mohammed Omar

Thanks for the ideas.
I was thinking of transistor but then to dynamically turn off the current, i need to dynamically increase the resistance to lower the base voltage. I hope my understanding is correct.

Any suggestions?

sincerely Ramone

Can you give us more details? What kind of current do want to control (amps)? What is the dynamic thing that will be controlling the switch?

i need to dynamically increase the resistance to lower the base voltage.

A MOSFET is switched on and off by controlling the voltage at the base. A BJT is switched on and off by controlling the current that is injected into the base.

Related to Ways to effect an open circuit electronically

1. How can an open circuit be closed electronically?

An open circuit can be closed electronically by using a switch or a relay to make a complete connection between the two ends of the open circuit. This allows current to flow and closes the circuit.

2. Can a transistor be used to close an open circuit?

Yes, a transistor can be used to close an open circuit. By controlling the base current, the transistor can act as a switch to either open or close the circuit.

3. What is the role of a diode in closing an open circuit?

A diode can be used to close an open circuit by acting as a one-way valve for current. When the diode is forward biased, it allows current to flow and closes the circuit. When it is reverse biased, it blocks current and keeps the circuit open.

4. How can a relay be used to close an open circuit?

A relay can be used to close an open circuit by using an electromagnet to physically close a switch and make a connection in the circuit. This is often used in larger circuits or systems that require a high current to be controlled.

5. Are there any risks associated with using electronic methods to close an open circuit?

There can be risks associated with using electronic methods to close an open circuit, such as short circuits or electric shock. It is important to follow proper safety procedures and use appropriate components and techniques to minimize these risks.