We Know Less About CDM Than We Did Before

• Thread starter Dotini
  • Start date
In summary, scientists have found that stars in a dwarf galaxy move in elliptical orbits, but their orbital planes are randomly aligned, unlike the nice, circular orbits seen in spiral galaxies. This makes it difficult to determine the distribution of dark matter in such galaxies. Additionally, the rotational aspect of spiral galaxies, likely created by supermassive black holes in the center, may contribute to the clumping of dark matter at the center. However, it is unclear how much influence the black hole has on the entire galaxy.
Dotini
Gold Member
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111017124344.htm

"After completing this study, we know less about dark matter than we did before," said lead author Matt Walker, a Hubble Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"Stars in a dwarf galaxy swarm like bees in a beehive instead of moving in nice, circular orbits like a spiral galaxy," explained Peñarrubia. "That makes it much more challenging to determine the distribution of dark matter."

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dotini said:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111017124344.htm
"Stars in a dwarf galaxy swarm like bees in a beehive instead of moving in nice, circular orbits like a spiral galaxy," explained Peñarrubia.

I find it bemusing that stars would swarm like bees in a hive instead of orbiting. Can anyone explain this, please?

Respectfully,
Steve

Ugh, I hate it when scientists use bad analogies. He doesn't mean that the stars move around randomly. The stars have elliptical orbits but they're not aligned in a plane like in spiral galaxies. The orbital planes of the stars' orbits are randomly aligned. Similar to a globular cluster.

Without the rotational aspect that spiral galaxies have (presumably created by Super-massive black holes in the center), why would one assume that the dark matter would clump at the center? The rotation creates a center of mass in the galaxy where I would presume the dark matter would start to accumulate, bringing together the normal matter, then distributing it from there.

Wouldn't you assume that in a dwarf galaxy, basically without a center of mass, the dark matter be more uniformly placed?

Dr_Morbius said:
Ugh, I hate it when scientists use bad analogies. He doesn't mean that the stars move around randomly. The stars have elliptical orbits but they're not aligned in a plane like in spiral galaxies. The orbital planes of the stars' orbits are randomly aligned. Similar to a globular cluster.

Here's yet another scientist who uses the same exact bad analogy:

"If you watched a time-lapse movie of our galaxy, you would see the swarm of dwarf galaxies buzzing around it like bees around a beehive," said astronomer Anna Frebel of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, who led the study that found the old star. "Over time, those galaxies smashed together and mingled their stars to make one large galaxy ? the Milky Way."
http://www.space.com/7996-milky-cannibal-ancient-star-confirms.html

Slightly off-topic, are the movements of bees random, or are they purposeful or according to some "program"?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Kronos5253 said:
Without the rotational aspect that spiral galaxies have (presumably created by Super-massive black holes in the center), why would one assume that the dark matter would clump at the center? The rotation creates a center of mass in the galaxy where I would presume the dark matter would start to accumulate, bringing together the normal matter, then distributing it from there.

Wouldn't you assume that in a dwarf galaxy, basically without a center of mass, the dark matter be more uniformly placed?

I still kind of want an answer for this. I'm curious.

Why wouldn't a a dwarf galaxy have a center of mass? It absolutely must and does have one. I also don't know how much the black hole really affects the entire galaxy. I don't think it has much to do with the rotation in a spiral galaxy.

FAQ: We Know Less About CDM Than We Did Before

What is CDM?

CDM stands for "climate data management" and refers to the process of collecting, organizing, and analyzing data related to climate and weather patterns.

Why do we know less about CDM now?

There are a few reasons why we may know less about CDM now than we did before. One reason is that technology and methods for collecting and analyzing climate data are constantly evolving, so our understanding of CDM is always changing. Additionally, funding for climate research and data collection may have fluctuated, leading to gaps in our knowledge.

What are the implications of knowing less about CDM?

Knowing less about CDM can have significant implications for our understanding of climate change and our ability to make informed decisions about mitigation and adaptation strategies. Without accurate and up-to-date data, it is difficult to accurately predict future climate patterns and assess the effectiveness of current strategies.

What can be done to improve our knowledge of CDM?

To improve our knowledge of CDM, it is important to invest in research and technology that allows for more accurate and efficient data collection and analysis. This may involve collaborations between scientists, governments, and organizations to share data and resources. Additionally, promoting education and awareness about the importance of CDM can help to ensure that it remains a priority.

How does knowing less about CDM impact policy making?

Policy making related to climate change often relies on accurate and comprehensive data. Without a complete understanding of CDM, it may be difficult for policymakers to make informed decisions and develop effective strategies. This can have negative consequences for both the environment and society as a whole.