Weak Maximum Principle Explained

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker discusses a mathematical problem involving a function w with a negative value and its relation to a function u. They claim that the maximum of u can be found on the boundary of a given area, and use the concept of Taylor series to support this claim. They also mention a contradiction between equations (1) and (2) in the context of this problem.
PeteSampras
Hello,I am reading the link http://math.mit.edu/~jspeck/18.152_Fall2011/Lecture%20notes/18152%20lecture%20notes%20-%204.pdfSays :
[tex]w_t-D w_{xx}=f [/tex] with f<0w at [tex]\bar{Q}_T[/tex] has its maximum in [tex]\partial_p {Q}_T[/tex]. If w is strictly negative at [tex]\partial_p {Q}_T[/tex] then also is strictly negative in [tex]\bar{Q}_T[/tex](it is OK)Says [tex]u=w-\epsilon t [/tex] , [tex]u \leq w [/tex], [tex]w \leq u + \epsilon T [/tex], T is cota,
then [tex]u_{t}-Du_{xx}=f-\epsilon <0 [/tex] (1)(it is OK)Says: Claim that the maximum of u in [tex]\bar{Q}_{T-\epsilon}[/tex] is on [tex]\partial_p {Q}_{T-\epsilon}[/tex]. To verify the claim we use [tex](t_0,x_0) \in \bar{Q}_{T-\epsilon}[/tex].Says: [tex]t_0 \in (0,T-\epsilon][/tex] since if [tex]t=0[/tex] the claim is true I don't understand this .Says [tex]u_t=0[/tex] if [tex]t_0 \in (0,T-\epsilon)[/tex] (it is OK), but says [tex]u_t \geq 0[/tex] if [tex]t_0 =T-\epsilon[/tex] I don't understand this .Then using Taylor and claims:[tex]u_{t}-Du_{xx}>0 [/tex] (2) and says "which contradicts (1)" I don't understand thisBest regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeteSampras said:
since if
t=0​
t=0 the claim is true I don't understand this .
because ##t=0## corresponds to the boundary (bottom)
PeteSampras said:
but says
ut≥0​
u_t \geq 0 if
t0=T−ϵ​
t_0 =T-\epsilon I don't understand this .
##0\ge u(t,x_0)-u(t_0,x_0)=u_t(t_0,x_0)(t-t_0)+o(t-t_0),\quad t<t_0##

the last question: the left hand side of (1.0.3) is ##\le 0## by assumption and the sign in (1.0.4) is ##\ge##

Last edited:
Likes PeteSampras

Related to Weak Maximum Principle Explained

What is the weak maximum principle?

The weak maximum principle is a fundamental concept in mathematical analysis, specifically in the study of partial differential equations. It states that if a function satisfies a certain set of conditions, then its maximum value must occur on the boundary of the region being studied.

What are the conditions that must be satisfied for the weak maximum principle to hold?

The function must be continuous and twice-differentiable, and must satisfy a certain inequality known as the elliptic inequality. Additionally, the region being studied must be bounded and have a smooth boundary.

How is the weak maximum principle used in practical applications?

The weak maximum principle is used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions to various types of partial differential equations. It also allows for the simplification of certain problems, as it reduces the number of possible solutions that need to be considered.

Why is the weak maximum principle important in scientific research?

The weak maximum principle is a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing various phenomena in scientific research. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve complex systems and problems.

Are there any limitations to the weak maximum principle?

While the weak maximum principle is a useful concept, it does have limitations. It only applies to certain types of equations and regions, and may not hold in more general cases. Additionally, it only guarantees the existence of a maximum value, but does not provide information on how to find it.