Weather Ballon with Camera/GPS payload. 1x600g or 2x600g balloon for lift?

In summary, the conversation is about launching a high-altitude balloon with a payload consisting of a styrofoam box, SPOT personal gps tracker, camera, and Flip HD camcorder. The person has purchased 2 600g balloons, but is considering inflating both for the payload or using one 900g balloon. They are aiming for an altitude of 100,000 feet and will determine the amount of helium needed once they receive all materials. They also mention reading a recent thread about high-altitude balloon experiments and plan to launch over Thanksgiving break.
Rbai63
Hi I am starting a project and will be inflating a 900g Kaymount weather balloon with a payload that consists of a styrofoam box inside of that will be a SPOT personal gps tracker, Camera and a Flip HD camcorder. I purchased 2 of the 600g balloons. I will do this by filling one up and attatching 30-40Ft of string to one end and attaching it to the top of the other balloon. Would it be a good idea to inflate both for the 1 payload to get higher in the air and a faster accent rate, or is one 900g enough? I know some people use 1200g balloons. I am shooting for 100,000 Ft, after I receive all materials in the mail I will figure out how much helium I will need for the payload because I am not sure what the weight will be for it yet I am guessing <5lbs.

Thanks

I will try to get this launched over Thanksgiving break, will upload photos and videos.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Rbai63 said:
Hi I am starting a project and will be inflating a 900g Kaymount weather balloon with a payload that consists of a styrofoam box inside of that will be a SPOT personal gps tracker, Camera and a Flip HD camcorder. I purchased 2 of the 600g balloons. I will do this by filling one up and attatching 30-40Ft of string to one end and attaching it to the top of the other balloon. Would it be a good idea to inflate both for the 1 payload to get higher in the air and a faster accent rate, or is one 900g enough? I know some people use 1200g balloons. I am shooting for 100,000 Ft, after I receive all materials in the mail I will figure out how much helium I will need for the payload because I am not sure what the weight will be for it yet I am guessing <5lbs.

Thanks

I will try to get this launched over Thanksgiving break, will upload photos and videos.

Welcome to the PF.

Be sure to read this recent thread about high-altitude balloon experiments. It has some good advice about parachutes, low temperatures, and some legal issues. Also has a link to a cool video.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Be sure to read this recent thread about high-altitude balloon experiments. It has some good advice about parachutes, low temperatures, and some legal issues. Also has a link to a cool video.

Which recent thread was that, Berkeman?

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your project with me. It sounds like an exciting and ambitious endeavor. In terms of the balloon size, it ultimately depends on the weight of your payload and the desired altitude. A 900g balloon may be enough to reach 100,000 ft, but it may also depend on factors such as weather conditions and wind speed.

In general, using two balloons for one payload may provide more lift and a faster ascent rate, but it also adds complexity and potential for complications. It's important to carefully calculate the weight of your payload and the amount of helium needed to reach your desired altitude. I recommend consulting with experienced balloon experts or using online calculators to determine the best approach for your project.

Additionally, make sure to follow all safety protocols and regulations when launching a weather balloon. Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing your photos and videos!

Related to Weather Ballon with Camera/GPS payload. 1x600g or 2x600g balloon for lift?

1. What is the purpose of a weather balloon with a camera/GPS payload?

A weather balloon with a camera/GPS payload is used to collect data and images at high altitudes in the atmosphere. This data can provide valuable information about weather patterns and conditions, as well as help track the movement of the balloon.

2. How much weight can a 600g weather balloon lift?

A 600g weather balloon can typically lift up to 600g of weight, including the weight of the balloon itself. However, the exact lifting capacity may vary depending on factors such as temperature, air pressure, and wind conditions.

3. Is it better to use one 600g balloon or two for lift?

The decision to use one 600g balloon or two for lift depends on the weight of the payload and the desired altitude. Two 600g balloons will provide more lift and reach higher altitudes, but may also be more expensive and require more helium. It is important to carefully consider the needs and limitations of the project before deciding on the number of balloons to use.

4. How does a GPS payload work on a weather balloon?

A GPS payload on a weather balloon works by using GPS technology to track and record the location, altitude, and speed of the balloon as it travels through the atmosphere. This data can then be used to map the path of the balloon and analyze atmospheric conditions at different altitudes.

5. Can a weather balloon with a camera/GPS payload be used for other purposes besides weather forecasting?

Yes, a weather balloon with a camera/GPS payload can have various applications besides weather forecasting. It can be used for scientific research, aerial photography, and even recreational activities such as balloon flights and photography. The capabilities of the payload and the data collected can be utilized for a variety of purposes.