Website title: Are These Vectors Orthogonal, Parallel, or Neither?

In summary, the given vectors are neither orthogonal nor parallel. The dot product of the vectors is not equal to zero, showing that they are not orthogonal. The inverse cosine of the dot product divided by the product of the magnitudes of the vectors is approximately 133.67 degrees, proving that the vectors are not parallel. By inspection, it can also be seen that one vector is a constant multiple of the other, further confirming that they are not parallel.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine whether the given vectors are orthogonal, parallel, or neither.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\cos \theta = \frac{{\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} \cdot \overrightarrow {\rm{b}} }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} } \right|\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{b}} } \right|}}\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\theta = \cos ^{ - 1} \left( {\frac{{\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} \cdot \overrightarrow {\rm{b}} }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} } \right|\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{b}} } \right|}}} \right)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} = 2i + 6j - 4k,\,\,\,\,\overrightarrow {\rm{b}} = - 3{\rm{\hat i}} - {\rm{9\hat j}}\,{\rm{ + }}\,{\rm{6\hat k}} \\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} \cdot \overrightarrow {\rm{b}} = \left( {2 \cdot - 3} \right) + \left( {6 \cdot - 9} \right) + \left( { - 4 \cdot 6} \right) = - 6 + \left( { - 54} \right) + \left( { - 10} \right) = - 58 \ne 0{\rm{__not_ orthogonal}} \\
\\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\cos ^{ - 1} \left( {\frac{{\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} \cdot \overrightarrow {\rm{b}} }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{a}} } \right|\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{b}} } \right|}}} \right) = \cos ^{ - 1} \left( {\frac{{ - 58}}{{\sqrt {2^2 + 6^2 + \left( { - 4} \right)^2 } \sqrt {\left( { - 3} \right)^2 + \left( { - 9} \right)^2 + 6^2 } }}} \right) = \\
\\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\cos ^{ - 1} \left( {\frac{{ - 58}}{{\sqrt {4 + 36 + 16} \sqrt {9 + 81 + 36} }}} \right) = \\
\\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\cos ^{ - 1} \left( {\frac{{ - 58}}{{\sqrt {56} \sqrt {126} }}} \right) \approx 133.67^\circ \ne 0^\circ \,{\rm{not_ parallel,}}\,\, \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

But the back of the book says parallel.

Physics news on Phys.org
-4*6=(-24). -6-54-24=-84. That's the dot product of a and b.

Dick said:
-4*6=(-24).

:redface:oops. back to 2nd grade for me:smile:. Thanks, Dick.

BTW you can also see that they are parallel by inspection. (-3/2)*a=b.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{b} = 0 & &\Rightarrow & &\textbf{a} \perp \textbf{b}\\
\textbf{a}\times\textbf{b} = \textbf{0} & &\Rightarrow & &\textbf{a} \parallel \textbf{b}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Dick said:
BTW you can also see that they are parallel by inspection. (-3/2)*a=b.

Another student did it this way, but I don't see it. Where does -3 and 2 come from?

foxjwill said:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{b} = 0 & &\Rightarrow & &\textbf{a} \perp \textbf{b}\\
\textbf{a}\times\textbf{b} = \textbf{0} & &\Rightarrow & &\textbf{a} \parallel \textbf{b}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Cross product is next chapter, but thanks, that gives me a good preview of what's to come!

tony873004 said:
Another student did it this way, but I don't see it. Where does -3 and 2 come from?

Solve each of these for x:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
2x &= -3\\
6x &= -9\\
-4x &= 6
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I still don't get it. How does solving them demonstrate that a and b are parallel? Sorry, but the book does not explain this method.

now I get it. The -3 is factored out of b, and the 2 is factored out of a, The remaining parts of a and b are equal, therefore parallel.

tony873004 said:
now I get it. The -3 is factored out of b, and the 2 is factored out of a, The remaining parts of a and b are equal, therefore parallel.

Exactly. In order for two vectors to be parallel, one must be a constant multiple (in this case [tex]-\frac{3}{2}[/tex]) of the other.

Now I'm glad I made my original dumb mistake of 6*4=10, or I wouldn't have posted and learned this easier method.

They say the only way to learn is to make mistakes. ;)

FAQ: Website title: Are These Vectors Orthogonal, Parallel, or Neither?

What does it mean for two vectors to be orthogonal?

Two vectors are considered orthogonal if they are perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a 90 degree angle. This also means that their dot product is equal to 0.

How can I determine if two vectors are orthogonal?

To determine if two vectors are orthogonal, you can find their dot product. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the vectors are orthogonal. Another way is to graph the vectors and see if they form a 90 degree angle.

Can three or more vectors be orthogonal to each other?

Yes, three or more vectors can be orthogonal to each other. This means that all possible pairs of vectors form 90 degree angles with each other.

Are all vectors in the same plane orthogonal to each other?

No, not all vectors in the same plane are orthogonal to each other. Two vectors in the same plane can only be orthogonal if they are perpendicular to each other, but there can be other vectors in the same plane that are not perpendicular to either of them.

What are the applications of orthogonal vectors?

Orthogonal vectors have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in linear algebra to simplify calculations and to find solutions to systems of equations. In physics, orthogonal vectors are used to represent forces and motion in different directions. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.