Website title: What Are the Most Epic Proof Phrases in Mathematics?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: It can be shown:In summary, the author provides a summary of the content, and provides a proof for the claim that any multiple of an even integer is even.
1MileCrash
So, as all of you know, it is common in mathematical proof to begin a statement within the proof with one of those phrases such as "then," or "therefore," or "and so," or "hence", "thus" etc.

But sometimes, for flavor, they can get a little more smug, such as,

"indeed," - my topology professor. You had to hear him say it.
"clearly," - pretty smug
"it is clear that"

then, we start getting into the more epic:

"Bear witness to the fact that,"

And these can even be combined:

"Indeed, let us bear witness to the fact that"

But perhaps the most epic one of all, was an algebra professor at my school (Arturo Magidin, for the math.SE posters):

"We let x stand sentinel to the fact that"

Wow, straight out of JRR Tolkein.

So, for fun, I want to see what you can come up with. For the sake of participation, I have included a small proof in which you can "fill in the blanks" with the most flamboyant, pompous proof phrases you can think of.

Claim: Any multiple of an even integer is even.

Proof:
Let k be an even integer.
______, there is exist an integer n such that k = 2n.
______, let a be an integer. Then consider ak.
______, ak = 2(an).
______, ak is even by definition

example:
Indubitably, there is exist an integer n such that k = 2n.
To further embark on our quest for truth, let a be an integer. Then consider ak.
It is abundantly clear as the full moon on a pale October night, ak = 2(an)
Rightfully so, it is indeed shown for all to see that ak is even by definition

Likes Enigman, edward and collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
"_________" is trivially obvious and will be left as a exercise for the reader.

Likes mheslep and Enigman

Since k is stipulated to be even, it is patently obvious there must exist some integer, n, which conforms perfectly to the statement, k = 2n.
Steamrolling logically and inexorably forward, let a be an integer. Then consider ak.
It will be immediately apprehended, and is not rationally possible to doubt, that ak = 2(an)
Therefore, we may boldly take up our chisel and hammer and vigorously inscribe in stone that ak is even by definition, and that, by extension to the infinite series of integers to which a, k, and n, belong, any multiple of an even integer is even, now, here, and in the whole universe, for all eternity.

Likes Drakkith and metapuff
And lo, the Lord spake of k, and He named k an integer.
Forsooth, there does exist an integer n. n is an integer, and by divine grace it doth satisfy k=2n.
Then the Lord said: "Behold, I give a unto you. a I give you, and a is an integer. Venerate the holy union of ak."
Thus spake the Lord. And great light descended upon the chosen people, and hosts of angels sang in unison, and they all saw with immaculate clarity that ak=2(an).
And they spread their seed across the four winds and preached the Truth of ak being even. Such is the definition from on high.

Likes Hercuflea, Drakkith, PeroK and 3 others
It can be shown

:headbang:

In the beginning we have k as an even integer.
We postulate that, there is another integer n such that k = 2n.
Furthermore it can be shown that if we introduce a as an integer. We can obviously consider ak.
And by all operators definitions ak would then = 2(an).
Therefore and from thence on, ak will be even by definition QED

Proof:
As even the most vacuous student will immediately realize, there is quite obviously an integer n such that k = 2n.
The next step is ridiculously elementary, and we omit it for brevity.
Forsooth, it is immediately and irrevocably clear that beyond all doubt and question, ak = 2(an).
The remainder of the proof is left as an incredibly trivial exercise.

Likes TheDemx27
"It is left as an exercise for the reader..."

I try to work this one into my daily life :D.

Likes Medicol and collinsmark
As it is written, so let it be shown.

Let K be an integer.
It can be shown that K [has some property]
It is now clear that [some property is related to some other property]
We omit several elementary steps for clarity. (Yes, clarity).
We leave the remainder of the proof as an exercise for the reader.
QED.

Behold!

https://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/figures/10013.2.1.gif

Check out my slightly more serious thread on the topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/these-words-should-never-be-uttered-by-mathematicians.783296/

Bandersnatch said:
And lo, the Lord spake of k, and He named k an integer.
Forsooth, there does exist an integer n. n is an integer, and by divine grace it doth satisfy k=2n.
Then the Lord said: "Behold, I give a unto you. a I give you, and a is an integer. Venerate the holy union of ak."
Thus spake the Lord. And great light descended upon the chosen people, and hosts of angels sang in unison, and they all saw with immaculate clarity that ak=2(an).
And they spread their seed across the four winds and preached the Truth of ak being even. Such is the definition from on high.
lol

FAQ: Website title: What Are the Most Epic Proof Phrases in Mathematics?

1. What are "smug/flavorful proof phrases"?

"Smug/flavorful proof phrases" are phrases or statements that are used to assert one's intelligence or superiority in a conversation or argument. They often come across as condescending or arrogant, hence the term "smug". These phrases are also typically used to add emphasis or flavor to a point being made, hence the term "flavorful".

2. Why are "smug/flavorful proof phrases" problematic?

These types of phrases can be problematic because they can come across as dismissive or disrespectful towards others. They also do not add any real substance to a conversation or argument, and instead serve to inflate one's ego.

3. How do "smug/flavorful proof phrases" impact communication?

"Smug/flavorful proof phrases" can negatively impact communication by creating a sense of superiority and hierarchy in a conversation. This can lead to a breakdown in communication and hinder the exchange of ideas and information.

4. Can "smug/flavorful proof phrases" be used in a positive way?

While these phrases are often used in a negative or arrogant manner, they can also be used in a positive way if they are used sparingly and in the appropriate context. For example, using a phrase like "I have evidence to support my point" can add credibility and strength to an argument without coming across as smug or disrespectful.

5. How can we avoid using "smug/flavorful proof phrases" in communication?

The best way to avoid using these types of phrases is to be mindful of our language and tone in communication. Instead of relying on these phrases to assert our intelligence, we can focus on actively listening to others and engaging in respectful and meaningful dialogue. It can also be helpful to reflect on our own biases and how they may be influencing our communication style.