Weighing Less in Skyscraper Lobby: What's Going On?

• Thread starter pengie4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weighing
In summary, when in the lobby of a massive skyscraper, you may weigh slightly less due to the gravitational attraction between you and the mass of the building. However, this effect is minimal compared to the overall weight change that would occur by changing your elevation relative to the Earth's center.
pengie4life
The question is...Strictly speaking, you weigh less (tiny bit) when you are in the lobby of a massive skyscraper. Why is this so?

I need help...I'm not asking for the answer...just some direction
I'm confused because I thought the greater the distance from the Earth's center, the less weight of an object.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pengie4life said:
The question is...Strictly speaking, you weigh less (tiny bit) when you are in the lobby of a massive skyscraper. Why is this so?

I need help...I'm not asking for the answer...just some direction
Thanks
Well you are in a massive skyscraper right? :smile:

Okay...I'm still lost...did you see I edited my original post...greater the distance from the Earth's center, the less weight...so why do you weigh less in a building

Weigh less compared to what?

Less than you would at the top of the skyscraper or less than you would on a beach at the same elevation?

The universal law of gravitation applies to all masses, not just when one of the masses is the Earth. The skyscraper has mass, you have mass, therefore the there is a gravitational attraction between you and the mass of the skyscraper above you.

That's why I ask the question "compared to what?" Considering the magnitude of the masses involved, changing your elevation relative to the center of the Earth would have more of an effect than the mass of a mere skyscraper above you.

Related to Weighing Less in Skyscraper Lobby: What's Going On?

1. Why do I weigh less in a skyscraper lobby?

The phenomenon of weighing less in a skyscraper lobby is due to a decrease in gravitational force caused by the Earth's rotation. The taller the building, the further you are from the center of the Earth, resulting in a slight decrease in gravitational pull.

2. How much weight do I lose in a skyscraper lobby?

The amount of weight lost in a skyscraper lobby is very small and varies based on the height of the building. On average, a person may weigh about 0.5% less in a skyscraper lobby compared to their weight at sea level.

3. Does the weight loss in a skyscraper lobby affect my health?

No, the small decrease in gravitational force in a skyscraper lobby has no significant impact on a person's health. It is a normal and harmless occurrence caused by the Earth's rotation.

4. Are there any other factors that contribute to weighing less in a skyscraper lobby?

Apart from the decrease in gravitational force, there are other factors that may contribute to weighing less in a skyscraper lobby. These include changes in air pressure and temperature, as well as the elevator's acceleration and deceleration.

5. Is there a difference in weight loss between different floors of a skyscraper?

Yes, there may be a slight difference in weight loss between different floors of a skyscraper. This is because the gravitational force decreases as you move further away from the Earth's center, and the difference in distance between floors can have a small impact on weight.