Weight and distance of a binary code

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the weight and distance of a binary code consisting of eight codewords. The weight can be easily checked by hand, but the minimum distance requires checking 21 distances. One idea suggested is using the formula d(C) \leq min(w(ci) + w(cj)) from the triangle inequality. However, there is a question about the variables Ci and Cj in the formula. The "brute force procedure" for finding the minimum distance would require checking 28 distances.
annie122
Is there a relationship between the distance and weight of a binary code?
I want to find the weight and distance of the code consisting of the codewords:

0000 0000
0010 1110
0101 1100
1011 1010
1110 0101
1100 1011
0111 0011
1001 0111

(spaces inserted for readability)

The weight can be checked easily by hand, but I don't want to check 21 distances.
Is there a quicker way?

One idea I had is [tex]d(C) \leq min(w(ci) + w(cj))[/tex], from the triangle inequality.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: weight and distance of a binary code

Yuuki said:
Is there a relationship between the distance and weight of a binary code?
I want to find the weight and distance of the code consisting of the codewords:

0000 0000
0010 1110
0101 1100
1011 1010
1110 0101
1100 1011
0111 0011
1001 0111

(spaces inserted for readability)

The weight can be checked easily by hand, but I don't want to check 21 distances.
Is there a quicker way?

One idea I had is [tex]d(C) \leq min(w(ci) + w(cj))[/tex], from the triangle inequality.

The 'brute force procedure' for find the minimum distance in a code of size M=8 requires to check 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 28 distances... ... just a little question : in Your formula what are $C_{i}$ and $C_{j}$?... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

The 'brute force procedure' for find the minimum distance in a code of size M=8 requires to check 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 28 distances...
I said 21 because I already know the distance from the code 0000 0000 from the calculation of the weights.

... just a little question : in Your formula what are Ci and Cj?
They are two different codewords.
I should have written this there, sorry.

Related to Weight and distance of a binary code

1. What is the relationship between weight and distance in a binary code?

Weight and distance are two important properties of a binary code. The weight of a binary code refers to the number of non-zero digits in the code, while the distance refers to the minimum number of digits that need to be changed to transform one code into another. In general, a higher weight and distance indicate a more robust and error-correcting code.

2. How do you calculate the weight of a binary code?

To calculate the weight of a binary code, simply count the number of non-zero digits in the code. For example, the binary code 101010 has a weight of 3, since there are three non-zero digits.

3. How is distance determined in a binary code?

The distance in a binary code is determined by finding the minimum number of digits that need to be changed to transform one code into another. This distance is also known as the Hamming distance. For example, the distance between the binary codes 101010 and 110010 is 1, since only one digit needs to be changed to transform one code into the other.

4. What is the significance of weight and distance in coding theory?

Weight and distance play a crucial role in coding theory, as they determine the error-correcting capabilities of a code. A higher weight and distance allow for more errors to be detected and corrected, making the code more reliable. This is especially important in communication systems where errors are common.

5. Are there any specific codes that have high weight and distance?

Yes, there are several specific codes that are known for their high weight and distance values. Some examples include the Hamming code, Golay code, and Reed-Solomon code. These codes are commonly used in communication and storage systems to ensure reliable and error-free transmission of data.