Weight of Neutron & Hydrogen Subscript 2

In summary, the weight of Tritium is 3.0160492 u, which is equivalent to 1.660538921(73)×10−27 kg. This information can be found on the Wikipedia articles for Tritium, Deuterium, and the unified atomic mass unit.
CloudChamber
Hello all,
Does anyone know the weight of a neutron? Or, better yet, does anyone know offhand the weight of hydrogen subscript 2 (hydrogen isotope with two neutrons)?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CloudChamber said:
Hello all,
Does anyone know the weight of a neutron? Or, better yet, does anyone know offhand the weight of hydrogen subscript 2 (hydrogen isotope with two neutrons)?
Thanks!

To clarify notation:

H1 = ordinary hydrogen (no neutrons)
H2 = deuterium (one neutron)
H3 = tritium (two neutrons)

Oh, oops! Looks like I had a discrepancy between the subscript and neutron number. I did mean tritium, but I'd be curious to know the weight of deuterium (the real H2) as well.

CloudChamber said:
Oh, oops! Looks like I had a discrepancy between the subscript and neutron number. I did mean tritium, but I'd be curious to know the weight of deuterium (the real H2) as well.

those wikipedia articles have the answer

Great. I'll take a look.

Really, you should try to look this kind of information up yourself.

Related to Weight of Neutron & Hydrogen Subscript 2

1. What is the weight of a neutron?

The weight of a neutron is approximately 1.675 x 10^-27 kilograms.

2. What is the weight of a hydrogen-2 atom (deuterium)?

The weight of a hydrogen-2 atom (deuterium) is approximately 2.014102 atomic mass units, which is equivalent to 3.343 x 10^-27 kilograms.

3. How does the weight of a neutron compare to the weight of a hydrogen-2 atom?

The weight of a neutron is slightly larger than the weight of a hydrogen-2 atom. This is because a hydrogen-2 atom contains one proton and one neutron, while a neutron is just one particle.

4. Why is the weight of a neutron difficult to measure?

The weight of a neutron is difficult to measure because it is a subatomic particle and cannot be directly observed. Scientists use various techniques, such as mass spectrometry, to indirectly calculate the weight of a neutron.

5. What is the significance of understanding the weight of a neutron and hydrogen-2 atom?

Understanding the weight of a neutron and hydrogen-2 atom is important in various fields of science, such as nuclear physics and astrophysics. It also has practical applications in industries such as energy production and medical imaging.