Weight of Soldier with Machine Gun in Freefall

• Thread starter sidt36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, a soldier with a machine gun falling from an airplane can resist the downward acceleration by shooting 40 bullets per second at a speed of 500 m/s. The weight of the bullet is 49 grams, which is equivalent to 0.049 kilograms. Using the relationship between force and momentum, it can be determined that the soldier's acceleration is the result of firing one bullet at a time. This can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the bullet by the velocity at which it is shot. To convert from grams to kilograms, the weight of the bullet is multiplied by 1/1000.
sidt36

Homework Statement

A soldier with a machine gun, falling from an airplane gets detached from his parachute. He is able to resist the downward acceleration if he shoots 40 bullets a second at the speed of 500 m/s. If the weight of a bullet is 49 gm, what is the weight of the man with the gun ? Ignore resistance due to air and assume the acceleration due to gravity g = 9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

acceleration in place of velocity?

The Attempt at a Solution

m_s* v = m_b*v But how do i get this velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try to recall the relationship between force and momentum, that would explain how the soldier stays in the air.

He fires one bullet; what is the effect on his velocity? If he does that 40 times a second, what acceleration would that produce?

I think i have it

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 446
sidt36 said:
I think i have it
Yellow text on a white background is going to burn someone's eyes out. :rolleyes:

Likes sidt36
How did you get 49 in your solution since 49 gm / bullet = .049 kg / bullet?

I multiplied it by 1/1000

Related to Weight of Soldier with Machine Gun in Freefall

1. How do soldiers jump out of a plane?

Soldiers jump out of a plane using a technique called military freefall, where they exit the aircraft at high altitude and freefall until they deploy their parachute.

2. What is the purpose of a soldier jumping out of a plane?

Soldiers may jump out of a plane for various reasons, such as training for airborne operations, conducting a military operation, or performing a parachute insertion into a remote area.

3. How high do soldiers typically jump from a plane?

Soldiers usually jump from a plane at altitudes between 10,000 and 17,000 feet, depending on the type of operation and equipment being used.

4. What safety precautions are taken when soldiers jump out of a plane?

Safety is a top priority when it comes to military freefall. Soldiers undergo extensive training and equipment checks before each jump. They also have backup parachutes and emergency procedures in case of any issues during the jump.

5. How difficult is it for a soldier to jump out of a plane?

Jumping out of a plane requires a high level of physical and mental preparedness. Soldiers must go through rigorous training and demonstrate proficiency before they are allowed to perform a military freefall. However, with the proper training and equipment, it can be a safe and exhilarating experience.