Weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach

In summary, the problem involves finding the weight percent of hypochlorite in a 5 mL sample of bleach. This is done by first diluting the sample to 100 mL and then titrating 30.00 mL of the dilute solution with 29.65 mL of a 0.1034 M solution of thiosulfate. The reactions involved are OCl−(aq) + 2I−(aq) → I2(aq) + Cl−(aq) and I2(aq) + S2O32−(aq) →I−(aq) + S4O62−(aq). The steps to solving the problem include finding moles of thiosulfate and relating
~Sam~

Homework Statement

If 5 mL of a bleach sample is diluted to 100 mL and then 30.00 mL of the dilute solution is titrated with 29.65 mL of a 0.1034 M solution of thiosulfate what is the weight percent of hypochlorite in the 5 mL of bleach?

Homework Equations

OCl−(aq) + 2I−(aq) → I2(aq) + Cl−(aq)
First hypochlorite is reacted with idiode

then we titrate the I2 with thiosulfate
I2(aq) + S2O32−(aq) →I−(aq) + S4O62−(aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding moles of thiosulfate and related to I2 and relate back to the hypochlorite OCl- then I used those moles to mass of the OCl- and then after that I'm not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing moles can you tell us how much it (NaOCl) might weigh?

Are you asked for a weight percent based on volume (weight/volume) or based on weight (weight/weight) of the original bleach solution?

chemisttree said:
Knowing moles can you tell us how much it (NaOCl) might weigh?

Are you asked for a weight percent based on volume (weight/volume) or based on weight (weight/weight) of the original bleach solution?

Based on volume, per 100 mL

Have you tried to answer the first question chemistree asked?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure all of your reactions are balanced. Start with finding the moles of thiosulfate and calculate each step backwards until you reach moles of hypochlorite. Think of the original problem description as requiring a sequence of problems to solve.

Related to Weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach

What is the weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach?

The weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach varies depending on the brand and type of bleach. Generally, household bleach contains 5-6% sodium hypochlorite, while industrial bleach may contain up to 12%.

How is the weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach determined?

The weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach is determined through chemical analysis. A sample of the bleach is reacted with a known amount of acid, and the amount of hypochlorite present is measured using a titration method.

Why is the weight percent of hypochlorite important in bleach?

The weight percent of hypochlorite is important in bleach because it determines the strength and effectiveness of the bleach in disinfecting and bleaching. Higher weight percentages of hypochlorite indicate a stronger bleach.

Can the weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach be too high?

Yes, the weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach can be too high. Household bleach with a weight percent of hypochlorite above 6% is considered too concentrated and can be dangerous if not used properly. Industrial bleach with a weight percent of hypochlorite above 12% is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns.

How can the weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach be changed?

The weight percent of hypochlorite in bleach can be changed by diluting the bleach with water. For example, if a household bleach with 8% hypochlorite is too strong, it can be diluted with equal parts water to bring the weight percent down to 4%. It is important to follow dilution instructions carefully to ensure safety and effectiveness.