Weinberg: The Quantum Theory of Fields I, Eq. 2.5.14

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of a physics instructor to learn QFT from books and the process of re-deriving a specific equation. The conversation delves into various equations and relationships, including the momentum operator and unitary operator of a boost, the little group of the homogeneous Lorentz group, and the normalization factor. The main focus is on deriving an equation, with the expert explaining the steps involved and providing a helpful insight that ultimately leads to a breakthrough for the instructor.
Living_Dog
First off I am a physics instructor at a local school and am trying to learn QFT from books. So this is not homework for a class at all.

I am trying to re-derive Eq. 2.5.14 from the above equation to it and it is in fact that "above" equation which is my hurdle. It is on pg. 66 for those of you with the book. Here is some previous information (for those of you without it) which I have struggled with the passed few days (actually weeks but I only get to spend a few hours each week due to other activities):

page 63:

momentum operator: [tex] P^\mu \Psi_{p,\sigma} = p^\mu \Psi_{p,\sigma} [/tex] (2.5.1)

unitary operator of a boost on a single particle state: [tex] U(\Lambda)\Psi_{p,\sigma} = \Sigma_{\sigma '} C_{\sigma'\sigma}(\Lambda,p) \Psi_{\Lambda p,\sigma} [/tex] (2.5.3)

"In general, it may be possible by using suitable linear combinations of the [tex]\Psi_{p,\sigma}[/tex] to choose the [tex]\sigma[/tex] labels in such a way that the matrix [tex]C_{\sigma'\sigma}(\Lambda,p)[/tex] is block-diagonal; ..."

page 63-64:

"Our task now is to work out the structure of the coefficients [tex]C_{\sigma ', \sigma}(\Lambda,p)[/tex] in irreducible representations of the inhomogeneous Lorentz group."

He defines a standard 4-momentum, [tex]k^\mu[/tex], which is invariant under a subgroup, [tex]W[/tex], of the homogeneous Lorentz group, [tex]L[/tex]. So [tex]W \subset L[/tex], and is used to boost [tex]k^\mu[/tex] to an arbitrary 4-momentum [tex]p^\mu[/tex] via:

[tex]p^\mu = {L^{\mu}}_{\nu}(p) k^\nu[/tex].​

Note: [tex]L(p) \in W[/tex]

single particle state of momentum 'p' defined:

[tex]\Psi_{p,\sigma} \equiv N(p) U(L(p))\Psi_{k,\sigma}[/tex].​

Therefore:

[tex]U(\Lambda) \Psi_{p,\sigma} = N(p) U(\Lambda) U(L(p)) \Psi_{k,\sigma}[/tex].​

Using the multiplication rule for these unitary operators: U(A)*U(B) = U(A*B), then:

[tex]U(\Lambda) \Psi_{p,\sigma} = N(p) U(\Lambda L(p)) \Psi_{k,\sigma}[/tex].​

Inserting a factor of [tex]1 = U(L(\Lambda p)L^{-1}(\Lambda p))[/tex] then the above becomes, after applying the multiplication rule:

[tex]U(\Lambda) \Psi_{p,\sigma} = N(p) U(L(\Lambda p)L^{-1}(\Lambda p)) U(\Lambda L(p)) \Psi_{k,\sigma} = N(p) U(L(\Lambda p)) U(L^{-1}(\Lambda p))\Lambda L(p)) \Psi_{k,\sigma}[/tex].​

The second unitary factor takes [tex]k[/tex] to [tex]p[/tex] then to [tex]\Lambda p[/tex] and then back to [tex]k[/tex]. This forms the little group, [tex]W[/tex], of the homogeneous Lorentz group - it keeps [tex]k[/tex] the same. Namely, [tex]k^\mu = {W^{\mu}}_{\nu} k^\nu[/tex] and

[tex]W \equiv L^{-1}(\Lambda p)\Lambda L(p)[/tex]. (2.5.10)​

Note: I think that the standard 4-momentum is just another way of saying the 4-momentum in the particle's in its rest frame.

For any such [tex]W[/tex]:

[tex]U(W)\Psi_{k,\sigma} = \Sigma_{\sigma'} D_{\sigma'\sigma}(W)\Psi_{k,\sigma'}[/tex] (2.5.8)​

The irreducible matrices [tex]D_{\sigma'\sigma}(W)[/tex] satisfy the following relationship:

[tex]D_{\sigma'\sigma}(\overline{W}W) = \Sigma_{\sigma''}D_{\sigma'\sigma''}(\overline{W})D_{\sigma''\sigma}(W)[/tex] (2.5.9)​

Note: we may chose the states with standard 4-momentum to be orthonormal, i.e.:

[tex]<\Psi_{k',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = \delta^3([/tex]k'-k[tex])\delta_{\sigma'\sigma}[/tex]​

The next step, to determine the normalization factor, [tex]N(p)[/tex], Weinberg starts from the bra-ket of two distinct single particle states, namely:

[tex]<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{p,\sigma}> = N(p)<U^{-1}(L(p))\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}>[/tex]​

and obtains:

[tex] = N(p)N^*(p'){D^*}_{\sigma\sigma'}(W(L^{-1}(p),p'))\delta^3([/tex]k'-k[tex])[/tex].​

This is the equation which I cannot derive. How does one go from the next to last to this last equation?

-joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Living_Dog said:
[tex]<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{p,\sigma}> = N(p)<U^{-1}(L(p))\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}>[/tex]​

and obtains:

[tex] = N(p)N^*(p'){D^*}_{\sigma\sigma'}(W(L^{-1}(p),p'))\delta^3([/tex]k'-k[tex])[/tex].​

This is the equation which I cannot derive. How does one go from the next to last to this last equation?

It is useful to note that the product [itex]<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{p,\sigma}>[/itex] is non-zero only if [itex]p=p'[/itex]. So, I will replace [itex]p' \to p[/itex] and [itex]k' \to k[/itex] where convenient. Then

[tex]<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{p,\sigma}> = N(p)<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|U(L(p))\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = N(p)<U^{-1}(L(p))\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = N(p)<U^{-1}(L(p))\Psi_{p,\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> [/tex]

[tex]= N(p)N^*(p) < U^{-1}(L(p))U(L(p))\Psi_{k',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = N(p)N^*(p) < \Psi_{k',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = |N(p)|^2 \delta_{\sigma, \sigma'} \delta(\mathbf{k-k'}) [/tex]

Eugene

meopemuk said:
It is useful to note that the product [itex]<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{p,\sigma}>[/itex] is non-zero only if [itex]p=p'[/itex]. So, I will replace [itex]p' \to p[/itex] and [itex]k' \to k[/itex] where convenient. Then

[tex]<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{p,\sigma}> = N(p)<\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|U(L(p))\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = N(p)<U^{-1}(L(p))\Psi_{p',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = N(p)<U^{-1}(L(p))\Psi_{p,\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> [/tex]

[tex]= N(p)N^*(p) < U^{-1}(L(p))U(L(p))\Psi_{k',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = N(p)N^*(p) < \Psi_{k',\sigma'}|\Psi_{k,\sigma}> = |N(p)|^2 \delta_{\sigma, \sigma'} \delta(\mathbf{k-k'}) [/tex]

Eugene

Holy mackeral! I didn't see the forest for the trees! I kept seeing:

[tex]U^{-1}(L(p))U(L(p))[/tex]​

as

[tex]U^{-1}(L(p))U(L(p'))[/tex].​

because he applies [tex]p = p'[/tex], after this result, at the end. So I was stuck thinking that it is only applied at the end. I never thought to apply it ahead of that. (such a dope! - I am...)

Thanks ever so much, now I can make some more progress.

Related to Weinberg: The Quantum Theory of Fields I, Eq. 2.5.14

1. What is the significance of Eq. 2.5.14 in Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields I?

Eq. 2.5.14 is known as the “equal-time commutator” and is a fundamental equation in quantum field theory. It describes the relationship between two quantum fields at the same point in space and time, and is used to calculate the probability of interactions between particles.

2. How does Eq. 2.5.14 differ from other equations in quantum field theory?

Unlike other equations in quantum field theory, Eq. 2.5.14 takes into account the uncertainty principle and the fact that particles can only interact within a finite region of space and time. It also allows for the calculation of the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the interaction.

3. Can Eq. 2.5.14 be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, Eq. 2.5.14 can be applied to all types of particles, including elementary particles such as electrons and quarks, as well as composite particles like protons and neutrons. It is a universal equation in quantum field theory that describes the behavior of all particles.

4. What are some practical applications of Eq. 2.5.14?

Eq. 2.5.14 is used in a wide range of practical applications, including the study of particle interactions in high-energy physics experiments, the calculation of scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory, and the development of new theories and models for particle behavior.

5. How does Eq. 2.5.14 contribute to our understanding of the quantum world?

Eq. 2.5.14 is a fundamental equation in quantum field theory, which is the most successful and accurate description of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. By using this equation, scientists have been able to make precise predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles, leading to a deeper understanding of the quantum world.