What am I doing wrong in this basic Projectile Motion Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a basic Projectile Motion Problem where the person is trying to solve it using the equations Δx = vxit + (1/2)axt2 and ΔY=Vyit + ay/2* t^2. However, there are some errors with the equations, particularly in the missing parts of Δx and the initial horizontal velocity being zero. The person also clarifies that they are only working with ΔY and asks for the initial velocity and final displacement. The expert also points out a typo in the equation.
volleyballkay
What am I doing wrong in this basic Projectile Motion Problem??

What I did in was use Delta X = Vxi + axt^2 & Delta Y= Vxi + ayt^2

then I plugged in the information but acceleration for x was 0m/s^2 and acceleration for y was -9.80m/s^2.

(ATTACHED AS FILE)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 10.39.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 10.39.33 PM.png
    19 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF!

volleyballkay said:

then I plugged in the information but acceleration for x was 0m/s^2 and acceleration for y was -9.80m/s^2.

(ATTACHED AS FILE)

I don't know whether this is the only thing you are doing wrong, but it does seem like there are a few errors with your equations. It should be:

Δx = vxit + (1/2)axt2

The parts you were missing are shown in bold.

Last edited:

volleyballkay said:

The stone was thrown vertically upward. If Δx means horizontal displacement, the initial horizontal velocity is zero, the horizontal acceleration is zero, is Δx different from zero?
You need to work only with ΔY=Vyit + ay/2* t^2. ay = -9.8 m/s^2, that is correct. What is the initial velocity? What is ΔY when the stone strikes the ground?

ehild

ehild said:
You meant Δx = vxit + (1/2)axt2, did you not? :smile:

ehild

Yeah I did. That was a very unfortunate typo.

Edited

FAQ: What am I doing wrong in this basic Projectile Motion Problem?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a curved path due to the influence of gravity. It is a combination of a horizontal motion and a vertical motion.

2. What are the basic principles of projectile motion?

The basic principles of projectile motion include the fact that the horizontal velocity remains constant throughout the motion, the vertical acceleration is due to gravity, and the horizontal and vertical motions are independent of each other.

3. What are the key variables in a basic projectile motion problem?

The key variables in a basic projectile motion problem are the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the time of flight, the horizontal displacement, and the maximum height reached.

4. What are some common mistakes made in solving a basic projectile motion problem?

Some common mistakes include not properly identifying the initial velocity vector, not considering the effects of air resistance, not using the correct formula for calculating the time of flight, and not accounting for the horizontal and vertical components of motion separately.

5. How can I improve my understanding of projectile motion?

To improve your understanding of projectile motion, it is important to practice solving various types of problems and to thoroughly understand the basic principles and formulas involved. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor and utilize online resources such as videos and interactive simulations.