What am I doing wrong? Simple Projectile motion calculations.

In summary, the problem involves a rock being thrown from a 14 meter high cliff with a velocity of 7m/s and the final velocity with which it hits the ground needs to be found. The equations used are Vfinal^2 = Vinitial^2+2AD and Vfinal^2 = 7^2 + 2 (-9.8^2)(-14). However, the answer is not accurate and the mistake was made in squaring a negative number.
dylanjames
Ok, I have used every calculator I can find, typed it in several different ways for the past three hours and at this point I am giving up and asking for help.

1. Homework Statement

A rock is thrown from the edge of a 14 meter high cliff with a velocity of total magnitude of 7m/s. Find the final velocity with which the rock hits the ground if it was launched initially upward.

Homework Equations

OK so we have
delta D - 14m (downward, negative)
V1 - 7m/s
V2 - Solve for
A - 9.8m/s^2 (down) (let upward be positive so this would be negative)
delta T - Solve for.

For equations - (upward throw)
Vfinal^2 = Vinitial^2+2AD
Vfinal^2 = 7^2 + 2 (-9.8^2)(-14)

So V final = square root ( (7^2) + 2(9.8^2)(-14)
Final answer I got is 52.32.

This is a practice question so they list the answer and the answer is supposedly plus or minus 17.98m/s.

What am I doing wrong?I thought maybe calculator when squaring a negative number does not turn it into a positive (ie. -9.8x-9.8 = positive number) and therefore threw off answer but when done that way it is multiplied with negative 17 and I cannot ask for square root of a negative..

Been trying to troubleshoot this too long and its driving me nuts! Any and all help is SO appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dylanjames. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Get rid of that ^2 around acceleration, it doesn't belong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dylanjames
...thank you. boy doesn't that make me feel stupid!

Related to What am I doing wrong? Simple Projectile motion calculations.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the force of gravity.

2. What are the key components of projectile motion calculations?

The key components of projectile motion calculations include initial velocity, launch angle, time, and acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do I calculate the initial velocity for projectile motion?

The initial velocity can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

4. What is the role of launch angle in projectile motion calculations?

The launch angle determines the direction and shape of the projectile's path. It is measured from the horizontal and can affect the range and height of the projectile.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in projectile motion calculations?

Some common mistakes to avoid in projectile motion calculations include using the wrong units, not taking into account air resistance, and not considering the effects of the initial height of the object.