What Angle and Velocity Are Needed for a Cannon to Hit a Falling Target?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the necessary angle and minimum velocity for a bullet launched from a small cannon to hit a falling target before it hits the ground. The use of kinematic equations and variables such as dx, dy, and h are suggested, and different methods are proposed to solve the problem. The conversation also includes a question about the policy of "bumping" and some suggestions for solving the problem.
dekoi
A small cannon (angle manipulative) produces an unknown force on a bullet. Simultaneously, a plate is dropped from h`1 . The cannon is d`x away from the target's horizontal location. What angle is needed, as well as the minum velocity, for the bullet to hit the falling target before its impact with the floor h`1 below. this is similar to this animation: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/mmedia/vectors/mz.gif

----

I am told that i have to do this "algebraically", using ONLY the 5 kinematic equations (and their projectile equivalent) in order to prove the launch angle. You can only use dx, dy, and h in these equations (and i am guessing variables such as g are also allowed).

I am not sure what is meant by algebraically (specifically); although my method seems awkwardly long, yet i am guessing it would work.

firstly, i calculated the time needed for the object falling vertically to fall (square root: 2h/g = t). I used that equation along with vx = dx / t, to figure out the minmum horizontal velocity. v2x = v1x.
dy = v1y(t) + 1/2gt^2 .

Method 1:
0 (d2y-d1y = 0) = v1xtanX(t) + 1/2gt^2
Rearrange to solve for angle X.

Method 2:
0 = v1tsinX + 1/2gt^2
Rearrange for X.

Im not really sure about this. I am in deep fatigue and can't think correctly. Anyone willing to help out?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump!

I'm sorry, but i haven't heard the policy against or for 'bumping'. Would anyone mind informing?

Does anyone have any advice?

what is the distance between the canon and the target ??
is it dx ?
marlon

You are right on the x-component of the velocity. It is dx/t and t = sqrt(2h/g).

But are you sure the difference between target and source is dx?
marlon

For the Y-component just write y as a function of x. Just substitute the t-variable in the equation for y by t = x/v_h with v_h the horizontal velocity of the bullet at t = 0. Then calculate the derivative of y to x and after you substituted the distance between source-target just solve this equation for the y-component of the velocity...

The angle is tan(X)=(v_y/v_x) y-component devided by x-component of the velocity.

This is just a suggestion. There are other ways to solve this question. I suggest you also try the other ones...for eeuuhh fun...

marlon

Related to What Angle and Velocity Are Needed for a Cannon to Hit a Falling Target?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v² * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion is the motion of the object along the x-axis and is not affected by gravity. The vertical component is the motion along the y-axis and is affected by gravity.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory and speed of a projectile, causing it to travel a shorter distance and with a slower velocity. This is because air resistance acts as a force that opposes the motion of the projectile.

Back