What Angle Does the Block Hang at When the Van Rounds a Curve?

In summary, the problem involves a block hanging from a string in a moving van. When the van goes straight, the block hangs vertically down, but when it rounds a curve, the block swings outward at an angle. The goal is to determine this angle. The relevant equations are Fx=ms, FTx=ma, Fy=may, and Fty=mg. To solve the problem, one can use FW=mg and a=v2/r to find the necessary values for the inverse tangent of the angle. Alternatively, one can treat the accelerations acting on the block as a vector addition problem.
livblue23

Homework Statement

A block is hung by a string from ther inside roof of a van. When the van goes straight ahead, at a speed of 28 m/s, the block hangs vertically down. But when the van rounds a curve, the block swings toward the outside of the curve, making an angle with its previous position. Determine the angle at which this block hangs.

Homework Equations

Fx=ms, FTx=ma, Fy=may, Fty=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, so i know that i use FW=mg and a=v2/r to find the two numbers that i will eventually use to find the inverse tangent of the angle... but how do i get the mass for FW=mg, how would i find the mass so i can finish this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
livblue23 said:

Homework Statement

A block is hung by a string from ther inside roof of a van. When the van goes straight ahead, at a speed of 28 m/s, the block hangs vertically down. But when the van rounds a curve, the block swings toward the outside of the curve, making an angle with its previous position. Determine the angle at which this block hangs.

Homework Equations

Fx=ms, FTx=ma, Fy=may, Fty=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, so i know that i use FW=mg and a=v2/r to find the two numbers that i will eventually use to find the inverse tangent of the angle... but how do i get the mass for FW=mg, how would i find the mass so i can finish this problem.

Maybe approach it a little more simply and treat the accelerations acting on the block as a vector addition problem?

As a scientist, you are on the right track in using the equations Fx=ms, FTx=ma, Fy=may, and Fty=mg to solve this problem. To find the mass, you can use the equation Fty=mg, where Fty is the force of tension in the string and mg is the force of gravity. The force of tension can be found by using the equation FTx=ma, where FTx is the horizontal component of the force of tension and a is the acceleration. Since the van is moving at a constant speed and the block is hanging vertically, there is no net force acting on the block in the horizontal direction. Therefore, the horizontal component of the force of tension is equal to 0. This means that the force of tension is equal to the force of gravity, or Fty=mg. You can then rearrange this equation to solve for the mass, m=Fty/g. Once you have the mass, you can use the equation a=v^2/r to find the acceleration, and then plug that into the equation Fx=ma to find the horizontal component of the force of tension. Finally, you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle at which the block hangs. I hope this helps you solve the problem!

Related to What Angle Does the Block Hang at When the Van Rounds a Curve?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves around a fixed point or axis in a circular path. This motion can be seen in objects such as a spinning top, a swinging pendulum, or a planet orbiting around the sun.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves around a fixed point at a constant speed, whereas non-uniform circular motion involves a change in speed or direction as the object moves around the fixed point.

3. How do vectors relate to circular motion?

Vectors are used to represent the direction and magnitude of an object's motion in circular motion. The vector points in the direction of the object's velocity at any given point on the circular path.

4. Can circular motion be described using only one vector?

No, circular motion cannot be described using only one vector. Since circular motion involves both speed and direction, at least two vectors are needed to fully describe the motion, such as the velocity vector and the acceleration vector.

5. How are centripetal and centrifugal forces related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of the circular path, keeping it in motion. Centrifugal force is an apparent force that seems to pull an object away from the center of the circular path. These two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, and together they maintain the object's motion in a circular path.