What Angle Does the Rocket Appear to Move at After the Second Stage Ignites?

• Thread starter student34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the question asks for the angle that the rocket would appear to be moving from the horizontal immediately after the second stage started. Using the given velocities and basic trigonometric equations, the correct answer is 33.1°. However, the book's answer of 25.4° is obtained by confusing horizontal and vertical velocity components in the first stage.
student34

Homework Statement

A toy rocket takes off from the ground with an initial velocity of 25.0m/s 60.0° from the horizontal. Once it reaches its maximum height, the second stage of the rocket kicks in at 20.0m/s 53.0° from the horizontal. From an observer on the ground, what angle would the rocket appear to be moving from the horizontal immediately after the second stage started?

This question only takes into account velocities and nothing else more complicated.

Homework Equations

I just used cosθ = x/r, sinθ = y/r and tanθ = y/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I began with Vx(total) = 25.0m/s*cos(60°) + 20.0m/s*cos(53°) = 24.536m/s.
Then Vy(total) = 20.0m/s*sin(53°) = 15.97m/s; I only have one Vy component because it said that the rocket reached its maximum height from the first stage of the rocket.

Then, I had θ = tan^(-1)[(15.97m/s)/(24.536m/s)] = 33.1°, but my book' answer is 25.4°
I really think it's wrong, but can anyone else see how it could be 25.4°?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. One way to get the book answer is to confuse horizontal and vertical velocity components in the first stage (equivalently, to take the initial trajectory as 60 degrees to the vertical).

haruspex said:
Your answer is correct. One way to get the book answer is to confuse horizontal and vertical velocity components in the first stage (equivalently, to take the initial trajectory as 60 degrees to the vertical).

Ah, you're right. That explains their answer, thanks!

FAQ: What Angle Does the Rocket Appear to Move at After the Second Stage Ignites?

1. What is the definition of relative velocity?

The relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another object. It is the difference between the velocities of the two objects in the same direction.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by finding the difference between the velocities of two objects in the same direction. It can be calculated using the formula: V(rel) = V(a) - V(b), where V(a) is the velocity of object A and V(b) is the velocity of object B.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another object, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference. Relative velocity takes into account the motion of both objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of the single object.

4. How does relative velocity relate to the theory of relativity?

Relative velocity is a concept that is central to the theory of relativity. According to this theory, the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity. This means that relative velocity plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions. In this case, the relative velocity is negative because the velocity of one object is subtracted from the velocity of the other object in the formula V(rel) = V(a) - V(b).