What Angle Does the Star Make with the Ecliptic?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a problem involving a star observed from Earth and its relationship to the ecliptic. The person is having trouble understanding the problem and is looking for someone to explain and provide a visual representation.
Unicorn.
Hi everybody, I really need help and it's quite an emergency..
I have this problem to do but I'm really stuck I don't know where I have to begin and I don't even understand what they're asking for:

A star in the sky is observed from Earth to describe an elliptical path whose minor axis subtends
an angle of 36". What angle does the star make with the ecliptic?
Suppose the apparent elliptical motion of part (b) were due entirely to the parallax effect.
Approximately how far away (in light years) from the sun would the star be?

Here it is ! I was trying to draw the situation but it's impossible, I'm not visualizing which angle I have to calculate and what does 36" represent exactly ? I just have the final result,but don't know how to get to it. If someone can explain and help me with a drawing it would be nice !

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Unicorn! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If the star is stationary, so that the ellipse is entirely caused by parallax,

then we can treat the Earth as stationary instead,

in which case the star must be following a circle with the same radius as the Earth's orbit, and parallel to the ecliptic …

that's the circle which (because we don't see it head-on) looks like the ellipse described in the question :wink:

Related to What Angle Does the Star Make with the Ecliptic?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how space and time are affected by motion and gravity. It consists of two main theories: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity explains the effects of gravity on the fabric of space and time.

2. What is aberration of light?

Aberration of light is an effect that occurs when an observer's motion causes the apparent direction of a light source to shift. This effect was first observed by astronomer James Bradley in the 18th century, and it is a key component of the theory of relativity. Aberration of light is caused by the finite speed of light and the relative motion between the observer and the source of light.

3. How does relativity explain aberration of light?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that when an observer is in motion, the apparent direction of a light source will appear to shift due to the time it takes for the light to reach the observer. This effect is known as aberration of light and is a result of the observer's relative motion and the finite speed of light.

4. How is the aberration of light measured?

The aberration of light can be measured by observing the shift in the apparent direction of a light source as an observer moves. This shift can be calculated using the observer's velocity, the speed of light, and the angle between the observer's direction of motion and the direction of the light source. The amount of aberration observed depends on the observer's velocity and the distance to the light source.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding aberration of light?

Understanding aberration of light is crucial for accurately measuring the position and motion of objects in space. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, navigation, and communication. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) uses the concept of aberration of light to accurately determine the position of objects on Earth. Additionally, the study of aberration of light has played a significant role in developing and confirming the theory of relativity.