What Angle of Projection Makes Maximum Height Equal to Range?

• Thread starter kuakkgom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the angle of projection for a projectile in order to have its maximum height equal to its range. The initial velocity is given as 53m/s and the applicable formulas are R=Vo^2*sin(2x)/g and H=Voy^2/2g. The person is unsure if they have the right idea and asks for clarification.
kuakkgom
This problem has been giving me headaches for the past two weeks. Here it is, as well as how far I have gotten on it:

A projectile is fired with an initial velocity of 53m/s. Find the angle of projection such that the maximum height is equal to it's range.

So that basically boils down to:

H = R
Vo = 53m/s
ay = -9.81m/s^2
t = unknown
x (angle) = find

According to the nifty sheet the teacher tossed out the applicable formulas would be:

R=Vo^2*sin(2x)/g (since Ho and Hf will be the same)
H=Voy^2/2g.

Making H=R gets the formula Voy^2=2*Vo^2*sin(2x) ...which doesn't help me since x is what needs to be found, and without x one can't break Vo into component form.

Do I have the right idea or have I flubbed it already?

Thanks,

-K

Physics news on Phys.org
Voy=vo*sinx

atie

Dear Katie,

It seems like you have the right idea in terms of using the equations for range and maximum height. However, there may be a few things you could adjust to help you solve the problem more easily.

Firstly, instead of using the formula for maximum height (H=Voy^2/2g), it might be more helpful to use the formula for time of flight (t). This is because the time of flight will be the same for both the maximum height and range, since the projectile will reach its maximum height at the midpoint of its trajectory. So we can set H=0 in the formula for time of flight and solve for t.

Once you have t, you can use it to solve for the angle of projection (x) using the formula for range (R=Vo*t*sin(x)). This will give you a more direct way to find the angle without having to rearrange equations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem! Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

Best,

Related to What Angle of Projection Makes Maximum Height Equal to Range?

1. What is a 'simple' projectile problem?

A 'simple' projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves a projectile (an object that is launched or thrown) moving through the air in a straight line under the influence of gravity. This type of problem assumes that there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the projectile.

2. What are the key components of a 'simple' projectile problem?

The key components of a 'simple' projectile problem include the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time it takes for the projectile to reach its maximum height and return to its starting point.

3. How do you solve a 'simple' projectile problem?

To solve a 'simple' projectile problem, you can use the equations of motion for projectile motion, which include the equations for horizontal and vertical motion. These equations involve the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time, and can be used to calculate the final velocity, maximum height, and range of the projectile.

4. What are some real-world examples of 'simple' projectile problems?

Some real-world examples of 'simple' projectile problems include throwing a ball, kicking a soccer ball, shooting a basketball, or launching a rocket into the air. These situations all involve a projectile moving through the air under the influence of gravity.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving 'simple' projectile problems?

Some common mistakes when solving 'simple' projectile problems include not properly setting up the equations of motion, using the wrong units in calculations, or forgetting to consider the negative direction when dealing with vertical motion. It is important to carefully organize and label your variables and use proper units throughout the problem-solving process.