What Angle Should a Projectile Be Fired to Clear a 25m Wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle at which a projectile must be fired to clear a 25m by 15m wall, with a velocity of 53m/s. The equations used include x=(Vx)(t), y=(Vy)(t)-1/2gt^2, and t=x/Vx. The attempt at a solution involved substituting t into the equation y= [(x)(Vy)]/-1/2g(x^2/Vx^2) and after some trial and error, determining that the possible angles are 33.5351 and 87.4287 degrees. The conversation also touches on finding the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity and using them to derive the equation for finding the
silly.kid

Homework Statement

Ok so i need to work out at what angle a projectile is fired at to clear a wall that is 25m away and 15m tall. the projectile is traveling at 53m/s

Homework Equations

x=(Vx)(t)

y=(Vy)(t)-1/2gt^2

t=x/Vx

The Attempt at a Solution

so i started by substituing in t

y= [(x)(Vy)]/-1/2g(x^2/Vx^2)

after a lot of guessing and checking i worked out the 2 angles that it could be were 33.5351 and 87.4287

so I am already ok as far as the answers go, i was just wondering how the equation i used can be derived to find θ by substituing in Vcosθ and Vsinθ. this is beyond me. i would just like to know for future reference

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you see how to find the vertical and horizontal components on the 53 m/s velocity?

I haven't worked all the way through this, but think about what happens if you assume the projectile goes just high enough to clear the wall. That means the final vertical velocity is 0 m/s when the final position is 15 m.

Can you find the time it reaches 15 m?

FAQ: What Angle Should a Projectile Be Fired to Clear a 25m Wall?

1. What is projectile motion angle when fired?

Projectile motion angle when fired refers to the angle at which an object is launched or fired from a horizontal surface.

2. How does the angle affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle at which a projectile is fired affects its trajectory by determining the initial velocity and direction of the object. A higher angle will result in a higher arc and longer flight time, while a lower angle will result in a flatter and shorter trajectory.

3. What is the optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion?

The optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the greatest distance traveled while still maintaining a relatively low launch angle. However, this may vary depending on factors such as air resistance and initial velocity.

4. How does changing the angle of projection affect the range and height of a projectile?

Changing the angle of projection can greatly affect the range and height of a projectile. Increasing the angle will result in a longer range and higher maximum height, while decreasing the angle will result in a shorter range and lower maximum height.

5. How is the angle of projection related to the initial velocity of a projectile?

The angle of projection and the initial velocity of a projectile are directly related. The initial velocity is the speed at which an object is launched, and the angle of projection determines the direction of this velocity. A higher angle will result in a higher initial velocity in the vertical direction, while a lower angle will result in a lower initial velocity in the vertical direction.

Back