What Angle Should a Projectile Be Launched to Reach Specific Distances?

In summary, the conversation is about projectile motion and determining the angle at which a ball should be launched in order to travel a specific distance and land on a plateau. The formula used is y=x tan theta - \stackrel{gx^2}{2u^2cos^2 theta}, which combines the vertical and horizontal components of the motion. There is a discrepancy in the answer key, with one solution at 22.4 degrees and another at 89.4 degrees. However, the method for finding the second solution is forgotten.
clipperdude21
Projectile Motion PLEASE HELP MIDTERM TOMMOROW!

1. A ball is launched with a velocity of 1000m/s at some angle theta. The ball must travel 2000m in the x dir and land 800m in the y dir on a plateau. What theta should the ball be shot at to make this happen.

2. y=y0 +v0t -.5gt^2

3. I solved for t using x=v0cos(theta)t and plugged that into the y equation and got one solution. The answer key says there's two solutions. One at 20 something, which is the one i got and also one at 89.4 degrees. Can someone show me how to get the other/both solutions

THANKS! I appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use the formula
y=x tan theta - [tex]\stackrel{gx^2}{2u^2cos^2 theta}[/tex]

THis formula is combined by
verticial component using s=ut+1/2 at^2
horizontal component v=s/t

i used that equation and still only got 22.4 degrees at the sole solution... 89.4 doesn't seem to fit. Is there an error in the answer key?

i also get the 22.4 degree
but it is acceptable that there is another angle is the answer...
however I forget how to solve it ~sorry

ok thanks anyway!

Related to What Angle Should a Projectile Be Launched to Reach Specific Distances?

1) What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then follows a curved path under the force of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in activities such as throwing a ball or shooting a projectile.

2) What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. The air resistance and wind conditions may also play a role.

3) How can we calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4) What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

Horizontal motion in projectile motion refers to the motion along the x-axis, while vertical motion refers to the motion along the y-axis. The horizontal motion remains constant, while the vertical motion is affected by gravity.

5) Can projectile motion be affected by air resistance?

Yes, projectile motion can be affected by air resistance, which is the force of air pushing against the object as it moves through the air. This force can cause a deviation in the object's trajectory and affect the range and height of its final landing point.