What Angle Was the Second Projectile Fired to Collide with the First?

In summary, the first projectile is fired at an angle 60 degrees above the horizontal with a speed of 60m/s. The second projectile is fired at a different angle and they collide at some point (x,y). The angle the second projectile was fired and the coordinate (x,y) they collide is found by solving the equations t_1 = \cos\alpha and t_1 = \sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{240\cos\alpha} - \frac{g}{60}.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired at an angle 60 degrees above the horizontal with a speed of 60m/s. A 0.5 second later, another projectile fired at the same speed but at a different angle. The two projectiles collide at some point (x,y). Find the angle the second projectile was fired and the coordinate (x,y) they collide.

The Attempt at a Solution

All subscripts "1" refer to the first projectile and the "2" refer to the second projectile.

[tex]y_1 (t) = \frac{-gt_1^2}{2} + 30\sqrt{3}t_1[/tex]

[tex]y_2 (t) = \frac{-g(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})^2}{2} + 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\sin\alpha[/tex]

[tex]x_1 (t) = 30t_1[/tex]
[tex]x_2 (t) = 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\cos\alpha[/tex]Naturally I set them equal to each other to find that (x,y) coordinate

[tex]y_1 (t) = y_2 (t)[/tex]

[tex]30\sqrt{3} t_1 = \frac{-g}{2}(t_1 + \frac{1}{4}) + 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\sin\alpha[/tex]

(2) [tex](30\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{2})t_1 + \frac{g}{8} = 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\sin\alpha[/tex]

[tex]x_1 (t) = x_2 (t)[/tex]

(1) [tex]30t_1 = 60(t_1 + \frac{1}{2})\cos\alpha[/tex]

So from Euclid's elements, I can now divide (2) by (1)

[tex]\frac{(30\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{2})t_1 + \frac{g}{8}}{30t_1} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{60} + \frac{g}{240t_1} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

Now here is the problem, what is t1? Will all values (other than 0) of t1 work?

I tried to go to back to my other basic kinematics equation, but I don't want a particular t1, I need a general one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
Now here is the problem, what is t1? Will all values (other than 0) of t1 work?

I tried to go to back to my other basic kinematics equation, but I don't want a particular t1, I need a general one?

You have two equations and two unknown. So it can be solved. Just solve [itex]t[/itex] in term of [itex]\alpha[/itex] from one equation and substitute it into the second equations.

BTW, you original equations are wrong. the trajectory for [itex]x_2[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] should have [itex]t_1 - 0.5[/itex] instead of [itex]t_1+0.5[/itex]. The travel time for the second projectile is less than the first one.

first, i think u have put it wrong, the time of 2nd projectile, it has been fired 1/2 sec later, so it will take less time to collide or travel the same distance with the first. so the time will be t1-1/2. 2nd-ly u can always find t1 in terms of cos alfa from the eqn. x1(t1) = x2(t2). replace t1 in terms of cos alfa in the eqn. u got by deviding eqn. 1 with 2. there will be only one unknown, alfa. it can be solved with a bit of mathematics. i have not worked it out myself, so i don't know how cumbersome it may be.

So I got

[tex]\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{240t_1} - \frac{g}{60} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

From x_1 = x_2

[tex]t_1 = \cos\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{3} + \frac{g}{240\cos\alpha} - \frac{g}{60} = \tan\alpha[/tex]

Any know any trig identities to simplify this?

As a scientist, my response would be that your approach to solving this problem is correct and logical. However, the issue with finding a general solution for t1 is that there are infinite possible values for t1 that could satisfy the equations. In order to find a specific value for t1, you would need more information or equations to solve for it. Alternatively, you could use a numerical method such as trial and error to approximate a solution. Additionally, the angle for the second projectile can also be found using the equations you have set up, but again, a specific value cannot be determined without more information. Overall, your approach is valid and the equations you have set up are correct, but further information or calculations are needed to find a specific solution.

Related to What Angle Was the Second Projectile Fired to Collide with the First?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the two unknowns in kinematics?

The two unknowns in kinematics are typically the position and velocity of an object.

3. How do you solve problems involving kinematics with two unknowns?

To solve problems involving kinematics with two unknowns, you typically need to use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, and algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknowns.

4. Can kinematics with two unknowns be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, kinematics with two unknowns can be applied to real-life situations, such as calculating the position and velocity of a car in motion or the trajectory of a projectile.

5. Are there any limitations to using kinematics with two unknowns?

While kinematics with two unknowns can be a useful tool for solving problems, it does have limitations. It assumes that the motion of objects is ideal and does not take into account factors such as air resistance or friction.