What angles can a tank aim at to hit a target on a mountain 10km away?

• Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question in kinematics about a tank shooting at a target on a mountain 10km away from it. The tank shoots at a speed of 1800km/h and the height of the mountain is 500m. The only force to take into account is gravity. The conversation explores using various equations such as V(t)=Vo+at, X(t)=Xo+Vot+½at², and V²-Vo²=2aΔx to determine at which angles the tank can aim. However, there is difficulty in finding a common expression for both tanθ and cosθ. One suggestion is to solve in terms of t instead of theta.
devanlevin
a tank shoots at a target on a mountain 10km away from it, the hight of the mountain is 500m the tank shoots at a speed of 1800km/h, at which angles can the tank aim?

this is a question in kinematics and the only force to take into account is gravity,

using
V(t)=Vo+at
X(t)=Xo+Vot+½at²
V²-Vo²=2aΔx

Vx=const=cosθ*Vo
Vy(t)=sinθ*Vo+at

Vo=500m/s
Xf=10000m
Yf=500m

knowing that the target is at (10000,500) i use the equation for X,
X(tf)=500cosθ*tf=10000m
tf=20/cosθ

Y(tf)=500m=500sinθ*(20/cosθ)-4.9*(20/cosθ)²
=1000tanθ-1960/(cosθ)²

now from here i don't know what to do, one equation with both tanθ and cosθ, how do i bring them to some common expression?? i have had a very similar quesion before which i too could not get past this point.

since i do not have T, i thought of using the 3rrd equation, but i don't see how i can

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of solving in terms of theta, why not try solving in terms of t first?

how would you do that

FAQ: What angles can a tank aim at to hit a target on a mountain 10km away?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the three main components of kinematics?

The three main components of kinematics are displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position, while distance is the total length traveled by an object without considering direction.

4. Can you explain the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and it can either speed up, slow down, or change the direction of an object's motion.

Back