What Angles Should a Fire Hose Nozzle Point to Land Water 2.0m Away?

In summary, the conversation is about figuring out at what angles a fire hose nozzle should point in order for the water to land 2.0 m away. The person is having trouble applying equations for projectile motion and is considering using the range equation to solve for the angle. The solution involves using the known speed, horizontal distance, and gravity to solve for the angle (theta).
Sn0wPr0
A fire hose held near the ground shoots water at a speed of 7.8 m/s.

At what angles should the nozzle point in order that the water land 2.0 m away

I don't even know where to start. Can anyone set me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about the fact that it's a stream of water and think about normal projectiles.

i just can't figure out how to find the component vectors, which is where i think i need to start.

Sn0wPr0 said:
A fire hose held near the ground shoots water at a speed of 7.8 m/s.

At what angles should the nozzle point in order that the water land 2.0 m away

I don't even know where to start. Can anyone set me in the right direction?

Do you know the equations for projectile motion?

yea, i have them in front of me but I'm having trouble applying them right now.

i'm so frustrated right now i just don't know where to start.

i'm starting to think it has something to do with the range equation. am i going in the right direction?

do i set it equal for sin?

(Vo^2/9.80)sin0=r

You know your speed, and you know your dX (horizontal distance) and you obviously know g. So use the equation with these variables and solve for the angle (theta).

FAQ: What Angles Should a Fire Hose Nozzle Point to Land Water 2.0m Away?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal motion and vertical motion.

2. How does a fire hose exhibit projectile motion?

A fire hose exhibits projectile motion when the water is expelled from the nozzle. The water follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a fire hose?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a fire hose include the initial velocity of the water, the angle at which it is released, and air resistance.

4. How can the range of a fire hose's water spray be increased?

To increase the range of a fire hose's water spray, the angle at which it is released should be increased. This will give the water a greater initial horizontal velocity, resulting in a longer range.

5. Can other factors, such as wind, affect the projectile motion of a fire hose?

Yes, other factors such as wind can affect the projectile motion of a fire hose. Wind can alter the path of the water and change its range and direction. This is why firefighters must consider wind direction when using a fire hose.

Back