What Angular Speed is Required for a Space Cylinder to Mimic Earth's Gravity?

In summary: So , the angular vel. would come out to be 0.0349 rad/s.In summary, the conversation discusses the suggestion of using rotating cylinders as colonies in space and the calculation of the required angular speed for the centripetal acceleration at its surface to equal the free-fall acceleration. The solution is derived using relevant equations and it is determined that the angular speed should be 0.0349 rad/s.
AznBoi

Homework Statement

It has been suggested that rotating cylinders about 10 mi long and 5 mi in diameter be placed in space and used as colonies. What angular speed must such a cylinder have so that the centripetal acceleration at its surface equals the free-fall acceleration?

Homework Equations

I would say:
W=(delta)theta/(delta)time
a_centripetal=v^2/r or rW^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really get what it's asking. Free-fall acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2 right? So that means the centripetal acceleration has to equal -9.8?

I converted the radius of 5mi to meters and got 8047m.

If what I state above is true, then 9.8=8047*W^2 and the angular speed would equal .0349 rad/s?

Despite what I posted above, I think that you need to convert 9.8 (a tangential acceleration) to centripetal acceleration. So would I have to plug 9.8 for in a in this equation to get the angular accel? a=r(alpha) Angular accel is not the same as centripetal accel. right? So would this be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
AznBoi said:

Homework Statement

It has been suggested that rotating cylinders about 10 mi long and 5 mi in diameter be placed in space and used as colonies. What angular speed must such a cylinder have so that the centripetal acceleration at its surface equals the free-fall acceleration?

Homework Equations

I would say:
W=(delta)theta/(delta)time
a_centripetal=v^2/r or rW^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really get what it's asking. Free-fall acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2 right? So that means the centripetal acceleration has to equal -9.8?

I converted the radius of 5mi to meters and got 8047m.

If what I state above is true, then 9.8=8047*W^2 and the angular speed would equal .0349 rad/s?

Despite what I posted above, I think that you need to convert 9.8 (a tangential acceleration) to centripetal acceleration. So would I have to plug 9.8 for in a in this equation to get the angular accel? a=r(alpha) Angular accel is not the same as centripetal accel. right? So would this be wrong?
Except for the fact that the radius is 2.5 miles, not 5 miles, you got it right the first time. The problem means to say that the centripetal acceleration at the cylinders surface...which is pointed inward toward the center of the cylinder...is equal numerically to the free fall acceleration which points in toward the center of the earth. A person on the surface would feel exactly the same as if he or she were standing on earth. It does not mean to imply that the acceleration is tangential...in fact, with the cylinder assumed to be rotating at constant angular speed, there is no tangential acceleration and no angular acceleration, only a centripetal acceleration.

Basically , in rotational mechanics we deal with centripetal and tangential accelerations , and the tangential velocity is related to angular vel. as V=RW , now if we want your cylinder to have the same 'g' as that on Earth , we would like it to pull on a body towards the center , which is to be done by this very centripetal force , your calculations are right , just that I think you took diamteter to be the radius , no problem with units.

Related to What Angular Speed is Required for a Space Cylinder to Mimic Earth's Gravity?

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. This force can be provided by various sources such as tension, gravity, or friction.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for other variables, such as the velocity or radius.

Is centripetal acceleration constant?

No, centripetal acceleration is not constant. This is because the velocity of an object moving in a circular path is constantly changing, which means the acceleration is also changing. However, the direction of the acceleration remains constant, always pointing towards the center of the circle.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circle. These two types of acceleration are perpendicular to each other and together they make up the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path.