What Are 4-vectors and Relativistic Tensors?

In summary, a 4-vector or relativistic tensor in Minkowski spacetime is a mathematical object that assigns an array of numbers to each basis, following certain transformation rules. This allows for correct transformation under Lorentz transformations, which are important in the theory of relativity. However, there is some debate about whether this definition accurately captures the essence of a 4-vector, as it does not necessarily transform correctly under all coordinate changes.
shrubber
I am trying to figure out the exact meaning of the concepts of 4-vector and relativistic tensor in the Minkowski spacetime. In my understanding, a tensor is a map that assigns an array of numbers to each basis in such a way that certain transformation rules apply. A vector can be viewed as a special case. Relativists define a 4-vector or a relativistic tensor as an object that transforms correctly under the Lorentz transformations.

So far so good. I pick a basis and assign it an array of numbers. I then pick another basis that can be obtained by a Lorentz transform and compute a new array of numbers.

However, what happens if I pick a basis that cannot be obtained through a Lorentz transform? Is the array undefined? Or is it arbitrary? One way or other, can the relativistic tensor (or 4-vector) be called a mathematical tensor (or vector), considering it does not transform correctly under GL(n,R), but only under a subgroup?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the "something that transforms as" definition of a 4-vector only requires that a 4-tuple of numbers is associated with each inertial coordinate system, and that when you switch from one inertial coordinate system to another, the 4-tuple gets multiplied by the matrix that defines the coordinate change.

I consider this way of thinking of 4-vectors stupid and obsolete. Just define a 4-vector as a tangent vector of Minkowski spacetime (defined as a manifold) and be done with it. That stuff about how the components transform under Lorentz transformations is included automatically as a special case of the general rule about how components of tangent vectors change under a change of coordinates.

FAQ: What Are 4-vectors and Relativistic Tensors?

What are 4-vectors and Relativistic Tensors?

4-vectors and relativistic tensors are mathematical objects used in the theory of special relativity to describe the relationships between physical quantities in different frames of reference. They are important tools for understanding the effects of relativistic motion on space and time.

How are 4-vectors and Relativistic Tensors related?

4-vectors and relativistic tensors are both mathematical constructs that incorporate the principles of special relativity. 4-vectors are vectors with four components (three for space and one for time) that transform in a specific way under Lorentz transformations. Relativistic tensors are mathematical objects that describe how physical quantities behave in different frames of reference and are made up of 4-vectors.

What is the significance of 4-vectors and Relativistic Tensors?

4-vectors and relativistic tensors are essential for understanding the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. They allow us to describe and calculate physical quantities in different frames of reference and have been crucial in the development of modern physics, particularly in the fields of particle physics and cosmology.

What are some examples of 4-vectors and Relativistic Tensors?

Examples of 4-vectors include the position 4-vector, which describes the position of an object in space and time, and the momentum 4-vector, which describes the momentum of an object in space and time. Examples of relativistic tensors include the energy-momentum tensor, which describes the distribution of energy and momentum in space and time, and the stress-energy tensor, which describes the energy and momentum density of a physical system.

How are 4-vectors and Relativistic Tensors used in practical applications?

4-vectors and relativistic tensors are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and calibration of particle accelerators, the calculation of trajectories for spacecraft, and in the development of theories for quantum gravity. They are also used in the analysis of high-speed collisions and in the study of the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions, such as in black holes.