What Are Cheaper Alternatives to Quartz Tubing for Containing Hot Plasma?

In summary, the conversation was about finding cheaper alternatives to quartz tubing for a project involving hot confined plasma. Ideas such as using borosilicate glass with a "getter" coating or any material with a quartz coating were suggested. Another option was Vycor, a glass that is mostly fused silica and has a lower melting point than quartz. Ceramic materials were also considered, but there were concerns about impurities when exposed to heat and radiation. The conversation also touched on the use of corrugated conductive materials and the need for shielding against low intensity X-rays and longer wavelength blackbody radiation. Overall, the main criteria for choosing an alternative material included heat resistance, low impurity levels, low cost, and ease of processing.
TESL@
Hello,

I am doing a project which involves very hot confined plasma. The problem is, quartz tubing is way too expensive for me. I don't want to deal with impurities so I came to ask if you can suggest any cheaper alternatives. Here are my ideas:
  1. Borosilicate glass with "getter" coating. (I don't know what will happen with deuterium)
  2. Any material with quartz coating inside. (This sounds a bit impossible)
Thank you.

edit: http://phys.org/news184310039.html this seems interesting.

Engineering news on Phys.org
TESL@ said:
Hello,

I am doing a project which involves very hot confined plasma. The problem is, quartz tubing is way too expensive for me. I don't want to deal with impurities so I came to ask if you can suggest any cheaper alternatives. Here are my ideas:
  1. Borosilicate glass with "getter" coating. (I don't know what will happen with deuterium)
  2. Any material with quartz coating inside. (This sounds a bit impossible)
Thank you.

edit: http://phys.org/news184310039.html this seems interesting.

Is Fused Silica (quartz) really that expensive for the project? http://www.quartz.com/quartz.html

Vycor is a glass that is mostly fused silica (96%). It's melting point is significantly lower that quartz. Pyrex melts at much lower temperatures (820 C).

I found a 7 cm diam. Vycor tube on e-bay for ca. $100 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corning-Vycor-Glass-Tubing-No-7913-70mm-x-36-96-Silica-RARE-Glass/111529446335?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28772%26meid%3De5b03af9b7684c9094d9a4a358565fa8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D111529451243&rt=nc

If you don't need a transparent system, you might take a look at some ceramic materials.

245.0 mm x 253.0 mm...... 0.216 ft...... 397.92 dollars (this is about my dimensions except the length, so it is my last choice considering the price)

I don't need a transparent system. Ceramic is actually very resistant to heat and cheap. However, I am concerned that ceramic will cause a lot of impurities when exposed to heat/radiation etc.

Here is something I found about past reactors:
https://books.google.com.tr/books?i...Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Aldermaston torus&f=false

It states that some pinch reactors actually used corrugated conductive materials for the vessel, which I didn't want to do because pulsed EMF can cause high eddy currents thus damage. Metal walls would be extremely easy to machine and experiment.

So ceramic, laminated metal or quartz regarding the properties in the following rank of importance:

1. Heat resistance
  2. Low impurity levels
  3. Low cost
  4. Ease of processing
Thank you.

TESL@ said:
when exposed to heat/radiation etc.

What kinds of radiation? At what levels?

Mostly low intensity X-rays and longer wavelength blackbody radiation for a short duration. (miliseconds)

TESL@ said:
Mostly low intensity X-rays

AT what level? How do you plan on shielding this apparatus?

I am not planning to shield the device. If you are asking about the safety, the experiments will be made in a place far from people. If you are asking about the effects of X-ray intensity on the tube (which would be relevant to the thread) I have no idea since no tests are carried out.

Related to What Are Cheaper Alternatives to Quartz Tubing for Containing Hot Plasma?

What is an alternative to quartz tube?

One alternative to quartz tube is borosilicate glass. It is a type of glass that is resistant to high temperatures and has similar properties to quartz, making it suitable for use in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

What are the benefits of using an alternative to quartz tube?

The main benefit of using an alternative to quartz tube is cost savings. Borosilicate glass is more affordable than quartz and can be used in many of the same applications. Additionally, it is easier to manufacture and can be shaped into various forms.

Is borosilicate glass as durable as quartz?

While borosilicate glass is not as durable as quartz, it is still highly resistant to thermal shock and can withstand high temperatures. It is also less likely to break or crack compared to regular glass.

Can borosilicate glass be used in the same applications as quartz tube?

Yes, borosilicate glass can be used in many of the same applications as quartz tube, including in chemical reactions, heating and cooling processes, and spectroscopic analysis. It is also suitable for use in laboratories and industrial settings.

Are there any drawbacks to using an alternative to quartz tube?

One potential drawback of using an alternative to quartz tube is that it may not have the same level of purity as quartz. This could affect the accuracy of certain experiments or processes. Additionally, borosilicate glass may not be suitable for extremely high temperatures or corrosive environments.