What Are Cosmic Waves and Their Impact on Earth?

• Thread starter Gravitons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, gravitational waves may exist, and if they do, they may provide a highway to understanding the big bang. However, there is still much unknown about them, and it is premature to say anything definitive.
Gravitons
I know cosmic waves are like tidal waves in water but in space, caused by supernovae or two colliding neutron stars, but what exactly is it? Like waves in water, what are the comsic waves on, space time, the fabric of space, and if one hit Earth what would happen?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are no such things as 'cosmic waves.' Perhaps you mean gravitational waves, which are waves propagating in the gravitational field.

If they exist, they exist all around all, all the time, and are created anytime anything with mass moves.

- Warren

Agreed, no such thing. Space does not have ponderable 'properties'. It is . . . empty.

Agreed, no such thing. Space does not have ponderable 'properties'. It is . . . empty.
not true at all

vacuum energy, branes and the bulk, wormholes and warping, any possible shape/size/configuration (eg torus) could be made out of a 2d,3d,4d,etc-d space and thus space has properties. these space branes supposedly interact with each other. a brane collision could have created the big bang

(see research and popular science books by Lisa Randall for more, cool stuff)

i know that at this point we don't have the technology to prove these things. but the mathematics fit, and we might as well explore all possible avenues. this avenue looks like it could be a highway to me

Feel free to disagree, but, avoid asserting any 'truths'. My assertion is grounded in general relativity and is mathematically sound. Appealing to unfounded assertions about the nature of the universe is less sound.

Gravitons said:
I know cosmic waves are like tidal waves in water but in space, caused by supernovae or two colliding neutron stars, but what exactly is it? Like waves in water, what are the comsic waves on, space time, the fabric of space, and if one hit Earth what would happen?

Just for clarity, can you tell us where you heard what you know so far about cosmic waves?

My first impression was the same as chroot's; that you are referring to gravity waves. But then I thought you might be referring to cosmic rays. On the other hand, maybe there is something called "cosmic waves," and I've just never heard of it ('till now, of course).

If you could provide a link or referrence to some source that talks about what you're asking, it would help avoid a lot of wasted posts.

-Thanks

Me three.

No such thing as cosmic waves.
Gravitational waves, yes. Cosmic rays, yes.

I'm sure he is talking about gravitational waves. I recall reading, some years ago, that a small group of cosmologists at the University of California, Berkley, were building a radio telescope with supersensitive detectors. They would be looking/tracking for gravitational waves. I'm sure if they had found something, it would be world news by now.

Appealing to unfounded assertions about the nature of the universe is less sound.
QM is not unfounded

Pray tell, how/where does QM predict 'cosmic waves'? I must haved missed that lecture.

qwe, show us a reputable reference to cosmic waves, let alone one that has to do with QM.

by cosmic wave i assume you mean a wave of curvature of spacetime aka a gravitational wave. i don't mean to posit an extra type of wave if you thought i implied that, i wasn't even talking about "cosmic waves" at all, i was talking about branes/bulk from M-theory

when i "asserted a truth" (i don't mean to use the word truth as "100pc probability...), i was saying that space is "something" rather than "nothing". if space is "nothing", why do particles pop in and out of existence in QM? that was my point, there is evidence that there is some sort of structure of spacetime that we haven't probed that leads to dynamic plays of energy

space curves as well, if it is "nothing" it cannot have curvature or any other property

---

maybe there is a distinction between "space" as in, say, some sort of lattice through which particles can translocate, aka, space that we and the stars exist in... and "space" as in, whatever is between the structures of that lattice or whatever structure provides space for us; however i don't think there's a dintinction, i bet the concept of spacetime could become meaningless when looking beyond (and at) the lattice itself composing spacetime, just like it seems to become meaningless before the big bang

Last edited:
Thread locked due to excessive specutlation.

Related to What Are Cosmic Waves and Their Impact on Earth?

1. What is the "cosmic wave"?

The "cosmic wave" refers to a hypothetical event in which a burst of cosmic radiation or energy sweeps through the universe.

2. Is the cosmic wave dangerous?

It is difficult to say for sure without knowing the specifics of the cosmic wave. However, cosmic waves are constantly passing through our universe and we are largely unaffected by them due to Earth's protective atmosphere and magnetic field.

3. How often do cosmic waves occur?

There is no set frequency for cosmic waves as they are unpredictable events. Some scientists believe that they may occur more frequently during certain cosmic events, such as supernova explosions.

4. Can we predict when a cosmic wave will happen?

At this time, we do not have the technology or understanding to accurately predict when a cosmic wave will occur. However, scientists are constantly studying and monitoring the universe in hopes of gaining a better understanding of these events.

5. What are the potential effects of a cosmic wave on Earth?

Again, it is difficult to say for sure without knowing the specifics of the cosmic wave. However, some possible effects could include disruptions to satellite and communication systems, as well as potential impacts on living organisms due to increased radiation exposure. However, it is important to note that these effects would likely be minimal due to Earth's protective atmosphere and magnetic field.