What are free online resources for very basic physics?

In summary, my school textbooks are rather bad often with too much words. One is Starting Science Book 2 by Alan Fraser and Ian Gilchrist. The other is A Concise course Science to 14 by Steven Pople. Where can I find very simplied diagrams with simplified situations with as little extra stuff needed to teach? My principal wants him to do a five minute speech on the Space Shuttle.
cloa513
I am teaching an ESL student in English very basic physics like friction and forces- it needs to be very simplified with quantitative explanations- a lot more easy to understand with pictural descriptions and I basically have to show what I bring from home and this being Japan the resources available are rather limited. Unfortunately my school textbooks are rather bad often with too much words. One is Starting Science Book 2 by Alan Fraser and Ian Gilchrist. The other is A Concise course Science to 14 by Steven Pople. Where can I find very simplied diagrams with simplified situations with as little extra stuff needed to teach? My principal wants him to do a five minute speech on the Space Shuttle. He did one before on diet which was well done but the understanding of what he said was somewhat lacking. The senior high school Japanese child can certainly read well quite difficult words and read aloud but has some intellectual disability.

Physics news on Phys.org
cloa513 said:
Unfortunately my school textbooks are rather bad often with too much words.
Have you looked through the Hyperphysics pages? They tend to be short explanations with good diagrams:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/index.html

1687198491730.png

Merlot Classic Award winner for 2005

"This site was honored because of its comprehensive coverage of most of physics, the creative use of multimedia and linking, and the impact it has had on students worldwide. Online tutorials cover a wide range of physics topics, including modern physics and astronomy. Material is organized through extensive concept maps."

Hewitt's Conceptual Physics book might be a good fit.

Basic Physics: A Self Teaching Guide by Karl Kuhn could possibly help.

Thanks for all your replies.

Likes berkeman

FAQ: What are free online resources for very basic physics?

What are some good websites for learning basic physics for free?

Some excellent websites for learning basic physics for free include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, Coursera, edX, and HyperPhysics. These platforms offer a range of materials from video lectures to interactive simulations.

Are there any free YouTube channels that teach basic physics?

Yes, there are several YouTube channels that offer free physics lessons. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MinutePhysics, Physics Girl, and CrashCourse. These channels provide engaging and easy-to-understand videos on various physics topics.

Can I find free physics textbooks online?

Yes, you can find free physics textbooks online. Websites like OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and the Internet Archive offer a variety of physics textbooks that you can read online or download for free.

Are there any free apps for learning basic physics?

Yes, there are several free apps available for learning basic physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Brilliant, PhET Interactive Simulations, and PhysicsOne. These apps offer interactive lessons and simulations to help you understand physics concepts better.

Where can I find free physics problem sets and solutions?

You can find free physics problem sets and solutions on websites like Physics Classroom, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Khan Academy. These resources provide practice problems along with detailed solutions to help you test your understanding and improve your problem-solving skills.