What Are Good Starter Books for Aspiring Astronomers and Physics Enthusiasts?

• Thread starter MaddenDude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Noob
In summary, if you're interested in astronomy, some good books to read are Universe in a Nutshell, Cosmos by Carl Sagan, Schrodinger's Kittens, and In Search of Schrodingers Cat.
MaddenDude
I just started physics and I'm already very much interested in astronomy. What are some good books to read for an amateur?

Ive read the Universe in a Nutshell, I liked it but it felt too brief. Thats about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cosmos by Carl Sagan. (I just watched the movie series though.)

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality and In Search of Schrodingers Cat By John Gribbon.

Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip S. Thorne is the best book ever written if you are a smart person just beginning to become interested in physics.
Right now I'm reading The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene and I'm really enjoying it, but it makes my head hurt trying to understand some of it. No it's not understanding it that makes my head hurt, it's the trying to think about what he's saying and really thinking about what it means and where it leads.

also "The Universe in a Nutshell" sucked. if you liked it you'll love the ones already mentioned.
Gribbins books are good, but he really whips them out. You'll quickly grow out of them, probably before you read them all.

The Feynman Lectures.

- Warren

Seriously? I can't understand 90% of what Feynman is talking about in his books. It isn't my recommendation for beginners.

Rather:

Books by John Gribben are a good bet
Partially to astronomy, Galileos finger

Well, in my opinion, the best books for beginners are the ones the colleges use for their freshmen: Halliday and Resnick's "Foundations of Physics", Fix's "Astronomy" and the rest.

If you don't want to learn physics, but would prefer to simply read about physics, then Gribbin, et al. are fine.

- Warren

tribdog said:
Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip S. Thorne is the best book ever written if you are a smart person just beginning to become interested in physics.
Right now I'm reading The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene and I'm really enjoying it, but it makes my head hurt trying to understand some of it. No it's not understanding it that makes my head hurt, it's the trying to think about what he's saying and really thinking about what it means and where it leads.

I read that book my junior year of HS... it was a fantastic way to ignore class :-)

chroot said:
Well, in my opinion, the best books for beginners are the ones the colleges use for their freshmen: Halliday and Resnick's "Foundations of Physics", Fix's "Astronomy" and the rest.

If you don't want to learn physics, but would prefer to simply read about physics, then Gribbin, et al. are fine.

- Warren

Is a freshman a amateur?

Bladibla said:
Is a freshman a amateur?
In this context, in my opinion, an amateur is someone who has not yet learned much physics and desires to learn more. A freshman is essentially the same sort of person.

Given that the reader never declared his future intentions -- either to become a physicist, or to learn what physicists know, or simply to pick up a few fun facts in some readable books -- we can only guess whether he's looking for Gribbin or Halliday and Resnick.

I'd say anyone who is really interested in physics would make better use of his/her time with Halliday and Resnick than with Gribbin.

- Warren

Thanks everyone, as soon as I finish the Da Vinci Code I'll start reading some of these books.

FAQ: What Are Good Starter Books for Aspiring Astronomers and Physics Enthusiasts?

1. What genres of books do you recommend for a noob?

For someone new to reading, I would recommend starting with a diverse range of genres such as fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, and self-help. This will allow you to explore different types of storytelling and find what interests you the most.

2. Can you suggest some popular books that are easy to read?

Some popular and easy-to-read books for beginners include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green, and "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling.

3. Are there any book series that are good for beginners?

Yes, some book series that are great for beginners include "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" by Rick Riordan, "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, and "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. These series are engaging, easy to follow, and have well-developed characters.

4. Can you recommend any books that are educational and entertaining?

There are many books that are both educational and entertaining, such as "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell, "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, and "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey. These books offer valuable insights while keeping the reader engaged with interesting storytelling.

5. Which books would you recommend for someone who wants to improve their English?

For someone looking to improve their English, I would suggest books that have simple language and well-defined plots, such as "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger, "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott, and "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. These books are not only enjoyable to read but also help with vocabulary and grammar development.

Back