What are limit tests and how do they establish convergence of a series?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the two limit tests, known as Cesaro-Stolz Theorem and the comparison test, can be used to establish the convergence or divergence of a series. These tests involve using the limit of a sequence to determine the convergence or divergence of the series. The Cesaro-Stolz Theorem states that if two sequences are strictly increasing and divergent, and the limit of their ratio is a finite number, then the series formed by the first sequence also diverges. These tests are useful for proving the convergence of a series and can be treated as comparison tests.
ognik
I've just studied integral tests for convergence, 1st timer, but some detail is escaping me.
The text reads:

1. Show that if $ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p}\: {U}_{n}\implies A \lt \infty\: (p \gt 1) $
Then $ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} {U}_{n}\: $ converges

2. Show that if $ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} n {U}_{n}\implies A \gt 0 $ the series diverges

"These two tests, known as limit tests, are often convenient for establishing
the convergence of a series. They may be treated as comparison
tests"
--------------------
I can 'see' these are true, but formal proof escapes me. I tried 'limit of products=product of limits':

$ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{n}^{p}{U}_{n} = \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p}\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{U}_{n} \implies A $
$ \therefore \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{U}_{n} \implies A/ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p} $

Clearly $ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p} \implies\infty\: for\: p \gt 1 $
$ \therefore \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{U}_{n} \implies A/\infty = 0 $

But I'm stuck here, how do I relate the above result to $ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} {U}_{n}\: $ ?
Appreciate the help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Can be done using contradiction. Suppose $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p}U_n =A$ and $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}U_n$ divergent, that is, $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}U_n = B$ ($\ne 0$). Therefore, $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}n^p U_n=\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}n^p B \rightarrow \infty$, which is a contradiction.
ognik said:
But I'm stuck here, how do I relate the above result to $ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} {U}_{n}\: $ ?

I do not think they're relatable, because $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}a_n=0$ does not imply $\sum a_n$ convergent.

Last edited:
Thanks, that works well, however from the context I suspect I am supposed to relate this to the integral test.

Does 1) imply that $ {U}_{n} < A/{n}^{p} $ ? In which case for p > 1, $ A/{n}^{p} $ converges (p series)?

Hi ognik,

We need to be a little careful using a proof by contradiction here. In supposing \(\displaystyle \sum U_{n}\) diverges, we cannot conclude \(\displaystyle \lim _{n\rightarrow\infty}U_{n}=B\neq 0.\) For example, the harmonic series \(\displaystyle \sum\frac{1}{n}\) diverges and yet \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{n}=0.\)

I think the approach we want to take in the first case is to use the fact that absolute convergence implies convergence; i.e. if \(\displaystyle \sum |U_{n}|\) converges, then \(\displaystyle \sum U_{n}\) converges. To prove that \(\displaystyle \sum |U_{n}|\) converges we want to use the following idea:

If a sequence converges, then it must be bounded.

Have you seen a statement along these lines yet?

What it tells us is that since \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}n^{p}U_{n}\) exists, there is a number - call it \(\displaystyle C\) - such that

\(\displaystyle |n^{p}U_{n}|< C\) for all \(\displaystyle n\)

Dividing through in this inequality by \(\displaystyle n^{p}\) we get

\(\displaystyle |U_{n}|<\frac{C}{n^{p}}\) for all \(\displaystyle n.\) Thus

\(\displaystyle \sum |U_{n}|<\sum \frac{C}{n^{p}}\)

Since the sum on the right converges using the p-test (or you could use the integral test with \(\displaystyle \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{C}{x^{p}}dx\) if you wish), the sum

\(\displaystyle \sum |U_{n}|\)

also converges. Thus, we have absolute convergence, and so it follows that

\(\displaystyle \sum U_{n}\)

converges too.

To prove that \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}nU_{n}=A>0\) implies divergence, you can use a similar argument as above, only this time you will want to bound \(\displaystyle U_{n}\) from below (whereas we bounded \(\displaystyle |U_{n}|\) from above in the first argument). Take a shot at trying this for yourself, and if you get stuck, we can revisit the problem. Let me know if anything is unclear/not quite right.

ognik said:
I've just studied integral tests for convergence, 1st timer, but some detail is escaping me.
The text reads:

1. Show that if $ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p}\: {U}_{n}\implies A \lt \infty\: (p \gt 1) $
Then $ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} {U}_{n}\: $ converges

2. Show that if $ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} n {U}_{n}\implies A \gt 0 $ the series diverges

"These two tests, known as limit tests, are often convenient for establishing
the convergence of a series. They may be treated as comparison
tests"
--------------------
I can 'see' these are true, but formal proof escapes me. I tried 'limit of products=product of limits':

$ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{n}^{p}{U}_{n} = \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p}\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{U}_{n} \implies A $
$ \therefore \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{U}_{n} \implies A/ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p} $

Clearly $ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} {n}^{p} \implies\infty\: for\: p \gt 1 $
$ \therefore \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{U}_{n} \implies A/\infty = 0 $

In my opinion the Cesaro-Stolz Theorem is the most simple way to answer to the second questions [divergence]... this theorem etablishes that, given two strictly increasing and divergent sequences $a_{n}$ and $b_{n}$, if ...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow\ \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}-a_{n}}{b_{n+1}-b_{n}}= l\ (1)$

... then is also...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow\ \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}}= l\ (2)$

Setting $\displaystyle a_{n} = \sum_{k=1}^{n} U_{k}$ and $\displaystyle b_{n}= \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k}$ and taking into account that the series $\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}$ diverges, You can conclude that $\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} U_{k}$ diverges...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Thanks GJA, that's exactly what I needed, but I couldn't justify to myself if I could divide by np, the way you have presented it is clear.

Thanks also chisigma, I haven't encountered that test yet (looked it up on Wiki) - but it is very similar to the limit comparison test, I suspect I'll come across that CS theorum later in the book.

Related to What are limit tests and how do they establish convergence of a series?

What is a generalised limit test?

A generalised limit test is a scientific method used to determine the presence and concentration of a specific substance in a given sample. It involves subjecting the sample to various conditions and observing any changes or reactions that occur, which can then be used to identify the substance and its concentration.

What are the benefits of using generalised limit tests?

Generalised limit tests can provide accurate and reliable results, making them useful in various scientific fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. They also allow for the detection of very small quantities of a substance, making them highly sensitive and versatile.

What are the common types of generalised limit tests?

Some of the most commonly used types of generalised limit tests include colorimetric tests, titration tests, and chromatography tests. Each type has its own specific method and purpose, but they all aim to determine the presence and concentration of a substance in a sample.

How do generalised limit tests work?

Generalised limit tests work by exposing a sample to specific conditions, such as heat, light, or chemical reactions, and observing any changes or reactions that occur. These changes can then be compared to known standards to determine the presence and concentration of the substance in the sample.

What are the limitations of generalised limit tests?

Generalised limit tests may have limitations in their sensitivity, accuracy, and specificity. They may also require specific equipment or expertise to perform, making them less accessible. Additionally, some substances may not be detectable by certain types of generalised limit tests, making it necessary to use multiple methods for complete analysis.