What are projections for? When do we need to use them?

In summary, projections are used in linear algebra and are similar to dot products. They have real world applications such as creating maps and floor plans, determining net force on an inclined plane, and understanding shadows and light interception. They are also a fundamental concept in trigonometry.
jwj11
[SOLVED] What are projections for? When do we need to use them?

I understand the concept of projections, and I can do problems that require it pretty easily. But I don't get what the applications of projections are? Can anyone tell me some.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean in linear algebra? Or some other area?

Yes, well for linear algebra i think projections are the same concept as dot products... but I would like to know some real world applications of this concept. What is it used for?? Any specific examples??

jwj11 said:
Any specific examples??
The map you carry in you car and the floor plan of your house, just to name a couple down-to-earth examples.

I don't get it =(

If you are pushing a box up an inclined plane the "net force" you are pushing against is the projection of the weight vector (mg pointing straight down) on the plane.

Your shadow. Or, the shape of the area blocked from the light source when light is intercepted by a 3-D object with particular geometric characteristics.

Last edited:
This might be an out-there idea, but have you considered the entire field of trigonometry?

Related to What are projections for? When do we need to use them?

1. What is the purpose of projections in science?

Projections in science are used to make predictions or estimates about future events or outcomes based on current data or trends.

2. When should projections be used in scientific research?

Projections should be used when there is a need to understand potential future outcomes or trends, such as in climate change research, population studies, or economic forecasting.

3. How are projections different from predictions?

Projections are based on current data and trends, while predictions involve making a guess or estimation about a future outcome without necessarily having data to support it.

4. Are projections always accurate?

No, projections are not always accurate as they are based on current data and assumptions, which may change in the future. However, they can provide valuable insights and help inform decision making.

5. Can projections be used to make policy decisions?

Yes, projections can be used to inform policy decisions, but they should be used in conjunction with other factors and considerations to make well-informed and comprehensive decisions.