Unraveling the Mystery: The Composition of Quasars

• I
  • Thread starter oliviaawheeler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quasars
In summary: The discovery of quasar in 1963 revolutionized extragalactic astronomy. Quasar is a compact region in the center of a massive galaxy surrounding a central supermassive black hole. Its size is 10–10,000 times the Schwarzschild radius of the enclosed black hole. The energy emitted by a quasar derives from mass falling onto the accretion disc around the black hole.
oliviaawheeler
So what exactly are quasars made up of?

Space news on Phys.org
Perhaps I can add.
Quasar, quasy stellar. It's from Latin. Thnigs like stars but not stars.
At first the astronomers thought they were stars, but further observations showed that they were not stars.

Mostly hydrogen with some helium thrown in. Quasars existed in a time where heavier elements hadn't yet been produced in large numbers.

Stephanus said:
At first the astronomers thought they were stars

I doubt very much that this is true.

Vanadium 50 said:

It's true. Unlike distant galaxies, quasars appear pointlike in optical telescopes, so just looking at their visible appearance they are indistinguishable from very faint stars. These visible "stars" were apparently correlated with strong radio sources, but it was hard to be sure that the very faint visible "stars" were the same objects as the radio sources. It was only when astronomers realized that the spectra of these objects were highly redshifted that they became convinced they were something very different.

A good reference on the history is here:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.3627.pdf

Interesting - Sandage's recollections/memoirs do not mention this at all. It's always "point like" or "quasi stellar", even before 1963 when the redshift was determined.

Vanadium 50 said:
Stephanus said:
At first the astronomers thought they were stars, but further observations showed that they were not stars.
Actually I read that phrase from this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006AY1WC/?tag=pfamazon01-20
In mid 1980, when I was in junior high.
The Universe David Bergamini.png

I didn't know that the book was printed in 1962. I just know today. I don't know how much knowledge in astronomy has changed since 1980s, much less in 2016.

But there's a very interesting phrase from this
PeterDonis said:
A good reference on the history is here:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.3627.pdf
The discovery of quasars in 1963, and more generally, active galactic nuclei (AGN), revolutionized extragalactic astronomy. In early February 1963, Maarten Schmidt (b. 1929; Figure 1) ...

The book was printed in 1962.
The discovery of quasar is in 1963.
Either
- It's a second edition that I read
- The discovery of quasar not in 1963.
- My memory tricks me into thinking that I read that phrase from David Bergamini's book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redshift is largely the only yardstick we have for the distant universe. While it has served us well and made many confirmed predictions that does not 'prove' it is invincible. But, without it we are lost in illusions of reality. We must either place faith in observational evidence or our ancient religious beliefs. I believe the former offers us a better future.

Related to Unraveling the Mystery: The Composition of Quasars

1. What exactly is a quasar?

A quasar is a type of astronomical object that emits incredibly powerful and distant light. It stands for "quasi-stellar radio source" and is believed to be a supermassive black hole at the center of a galaxy that is actively consuming matter and releasing huge amounts of energy.

2. How are quasars formed?

Quasars are formed when gas and dust are pulled into the supermassive black hole at the center of a galaxy. As the matter spirals towards the black hole, it heats up and emits high-energy radiation, including light and radio waves, which we observe as a quasar.

3. What are quasars made of?

Quasars are made up of gas, dust, and a supermassive black hole at their center. The gas and dust are pulled into the black hole, while the black hole itself is made up of a huge amount of matter that has collapsed under its own gravity.

4. How far away are quasars?

Quasars are extremely distant objects, with the closest known quasars being billions of light years away. This is because the light from quasars takes a long time to reach us, due to the vast distances between galaxies in the universe.

5. Can we see quasars with the naked eye?

No, quasars are not visible to the naked eye. They are incredibly faint objects that can only be observed through powerful telescopes and specialized equipment. However, some quasars have been observed to be hundreds of times brighter than entire galaxies, making them some of the most luminous objects in the universe.