What are resistors in power supplies for?

In summary: The bleeder resistor isn't for maintaining a constant voltage ( not that I have been ever aware of)it is, as its name suggests, used to slowly discharge the capacitor ( bleed off the voltage across the capacitor)when the PSU is turned off. There are a couple of main purposes for this1) for a high voltage DC PSU, a dual purpose of... a) discharging the cap so that the user doesn't accidentally zap themselvesb) discharging the cap so that when another piece of gear is connected to the PSU, it isn't damaged by a large voltage spike from the capacitor2) for a low voltage PSU, purely for the same purpose as b) above
Guidestone
Hey guys. I just opened up a case from an AC to DC adapter and I noticed a 1kohm resistor in the circuit. I remembered a class I had about voltage supplies and I remember there were diagrams with a transformer, full bridge rectifiers, capacitors and at the end of them there was a resistor. The resistor was placed in such a way that we could measure the output rectified voltage across its terminals. However, if I'm not mistaken, we could obtain the same voltage measures whether that resistor was there or not, so, my question is, what is that resistor for? Is it to limit the current whenever I connect a load to it? The back of the case has 300mA maximum on it.
Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Guidestone said:
Hey guys. I just opened up a case from an AC to DC adapter and I noticed a 1kohm resistor in the circuit. I remembered a class I had about voltage supplies and I remember there were diagrams with a transformer, full bridge rectifiers, capacitors and at the end of them there was a resistor. The resistor was placed in such a way that we could measure the output rectified voltage across its terminals. However, if I'm not mistaken, we could obtain the same voltage measures whether that resistor was there or not, so, my question is, what is that resistor for? Is it to limit the current whenever I connect a load to it? The back of the case has 300mA maximum on it.
Thanks a lot!
your question is too vague to give a decent answer.
Resistors have lots of uses depending on where in the PSU circuit they are

1) what type of power supply ?
2) where in the power supply is the resistor(s) ?

show us some sharp and well lit pics of the power supply both the component and track side of the circuit boardDave

Normally a simple unregulated full bridge rectifier, capacitor circuit unloaded output voltage would be the peak voltage of the AC input voltage to the full bridge rectifier. So usually a 'bleeder' resistor is used to give a minimum load on the circuit to improve DC voltage regulation from no to full load and to always discharge the output voltage to zero when the AC power is disconnected.

wf-hum_120hz-03.gif

The filter 'Ripple' and the DC voltage varies with the load.

pwr-supply-fullwave-net-420.gif

http://williamson-labs.com/powersupply.htm

davenn said:
your question is too vague to give a decent answer.
Resistors have lots of uses depending on where in the PSU circuit they are

1) what type of power supply ?
2) where in the power supply is the resistor(s) ?

show us some sharp and well lit pics of the power supply both the component and track side of the circuit boardDave

You are right Davenn, I should have uploaded some pics. In fact, the picture down below nsaspook posted is what I'm talking about. I never heard about those bleeding resistors before. However, if it's possible to be explained, how can a resistor help maintain voltage constant?
Thank you guys!

Guidestone said:
However, if it's possible to be explained, how can a resistor help maintain voltage constant?
the bleeder resistor isn't for maintaining a constant voltage ( not that I have been ever aware of)
it is, as its name suggests, used to slowly discharge the capacitor ( bleed off the voltage across the capacitor)
when the PSU is turned off. There are a couple of main purposes for this

1) for a high voltage DC PSU, a dual purpose of... a) discharging the cap so that the user doesn't accidentally zap themselves
b) discharging the cap so that when another piece of gear is connected to the PSU, it isn't damaged by a large voltage spike from the capacitor

2) for a low voltage PSU, purely for the same purpose as b) above ...
discharging the cap so that when another piece of gear is connected to the PSU, it isn't damaged by a large voltage spike from the capacitorDave

Guidestone said:
You are right Davenn, I should have uploaded some pics. In fact, the picture down below nsaspook posted is what I'm talking about. I never heard about those bleeding resistors before. However, if it's possible to be explained, how can a resistor help maintain voltage constant?
Thank you guys!

It doesn't make it constant, it just makes the initial voltage drop from completely unloaded (Vripple ~0) to to the loaded value of Vripple less in a very cheaply made wall-wart.
IfB18.jpg

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/rectct.html

Last edited:

Related to What are resistors in power supplies for?

1. What is the purpose of resistors in power supplies?

Resistors in power supplies are used to control the flow of electricity. They act as a barrier to the flow of current, allowing only a certain amount of electricity to pass through. This is important in regulating the voltage and current in a circuit.

2. How do resistors affect the output of a power supply?

The value of a resistor determines the amount of resistance in a circuit, which in turn affects the output of a power supply. A higher resistor value will limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit, resulting in a lower output voltage. Conversely, a lower resistor value will allow more current to flow, resulting in a higher output voltage.

3. Can resistors be replaced with other components in a power supply?

Yes, resistors can be replaced with other components such as diodes or transistors. However, these components may have different characteristics and may not provide the same level of control over the flow of electricity as a resistor.

4. How do I choose the right resistor for a power supply?

The value of a resistor is measured in ohms (Ω) and is determined by the amount of current and voltage in a circuit. To choose the right resistor, you will need to calculate the resistance needed using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I).

5. Can resistors in a power supply overheat?

Yes, resistors can overheat if they are not chosen or installed correctly. It is important to select a resistor with the appropriate power rating for the circuit, as well as ensuring proper ventilation and heat dissipation. Overheating can lead to a decrease in the resistor's performance or even cause damage to the power supply.