What are scalar-isoscalar channels?

• I
  • Thread starter hipa7
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the total cross section graph for pion quasi-elastic scattering and the different channels it includes. These channels refer to the states of two pions, where they can be in isotopic spin 0 (scalar) or 1 (non-scalar) states, as well as different angular momentum states. The pi-N state must have an isospin of either 1/2 or 3/2, and the terms scalar and non-scalar may refer to even or odd orbital angular momentum states rather than isotopic spin states.
hipa7
TL;DR Summary
I'm reading a paper on pion quasi-elastic scattering and the total cross section graph is shown as scalar -isoscalar channel and non-scalar-isoscalar channel, what are those channels?
I'm reading a paper on pion quasi-elastic scattering and the total cross section graph is shown as scalar -isoscalar channel and non-scalar-isoscalar channel, what are those channels? are they pion+n-->pion+n and pion+p --> pion +p?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are probably pi-pi channels. Two pions can be in an isotopic spin 0 (scalar) state
or an isotopic spin 1 (non-scalar) state.
For angular momentum, they can be in a J=0 (scalar) or a J=1 (vector or non-scalar) state.
They can also be in higher J states, with even J being scalar and odd J being non-scalar.
A pi-N state must have isospin I-=1/2 or 3/2. I don't see how either could be described as
scalar or non-scalar. If it is pi-N scattering, then scalar or non-scalar must be referring to either even L or odd L (orbital angular momentum), and not to scalar or non-scalar Ispin..

Likes vanhees71

FAQ: What are scalar-isoscalar channels?

1. What is a scalar-isoscalar channel?

A scalar-isoscalar channel is a type of interaction between particles in quantum field theory. It involves the exchange of a scalar particle between two particles, resulting in a scalar field that is invariant under rotations and isospin transformations.

2. How does a scalar-isoscalar channel differ from other channels?

A scalar-isoscalar channel is unique because it involves the exchange of a scalar particle, whereas other channels involve the exchange of different types of particles such as vector or pseudoscalar particles.

3. What are some examples of scalar-isoscalar channels?

One example of a scalar-isoscalar channel is the interaction between two nucleons (protons or neutrons) through the exchange of a pion. Another example is the interaction between two pions through the exchange of a sigma meson.

4. What is the significance of scalar-isoscalar channels in particle physics?

Scalar-isoscalar channels play an important role in understanding the strong nuclear force and the structure of hadrons (particles made of quarks). They also provide insights into the nature of the Higgs boson and its interactions with other particles.

5. How are scalar-isoscalar channels studied in experiments?

Scalar-isoscalar channels are studied through high-energy particle collisions in particle accelerators. By analyzing the products of these collisions, scientists can infer the presence and properties of scalar particles and their interactions with other particles.

Back