What are some examples of algebras that are not sigma algebras?

In summary, an algebra is a collection of subsets of a set X that is closed under pairwise unions and complements of individual subsets with respect to X, while a sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a set X that is closed under countable unions and complements of individual subsets with respect to X. An example of an algebra that is not a sigma algebra is the algebra of finite and co-finite sets of reals, which does not include any open intervals.
LumenPlacidum
I'm trying to understand the difference between these two algebraic structures.

An algebra is a collection of subsets of a set X that is closed under pairwise unions and complements of individual subsets with respect to X.

A sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a set X that is closed under countably many unions and complements of individual subsets with respect to X.

My trouble is that if an algebra is only closed under pairwise unions, than doesn't the entire collection of unions need to be at most countable? Then, since a sigma algebra is also an algebra, wouldn't the "at most" part be included in it too?

Can someone help me see an example of an algebra that is not a sigma algebra?

Edit: Oh, I have an idea for an example. Please let me know if my concept is incorrect.

If I take for my set X the real numbers, then I decide to place into my algebra the subsets containing exactly one real number, then I think as an algebra, I must get the entire power set of the reals as my algebra, which relies on the pairwise unions not having to be countable.

If I start with the same subsets but try to generate a sigma algebra, then my sigma algebra contains the empty set, the reals, and all the finite and cofinite subsets of the real numbers (i.e. all the sets composed of finitely many reals and all the sets that are all the reals except for finitely many reals). However, I would never obtain any open interval of the real numbers, since that would require uncountably-many unions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LumenPlacidum said:
A sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a set X that is closed under countably many unions and complements of individual subsets with respect to X.
it is closed under countable unions, not "countably many unions".
Edit: Oh, I have an idea for an example. Please let me know if my concept is incorrect.

If I take for my set X the real numbers, then I decide to place into my algebra the subsets containing exactly one real number, then I think as an algebra, I must get the entire power set of the reals as my algebra, which relies on the pairwise unions not having to be countable.
No, you get the algebra of finite and co-finite sets of reals.
If I start with the same subsets but try to generate a sigma algebra, then my sigma algebra contains the empty set, the reals, and all the finite and cofinite subsets of the real numbers (i.e. all the sets composed of finitely many reals and all the sets that are all the reals except for finitely many reals).
No, you will get the sigma algebra of countable and co-countable sets of reals. For example, it will include the set of rationals.
However, I would never obtain any open interval of the real numbers, since that would require uncountably-many unions.
Yes, the smallest sigma algebra over the set of real singletons doesn't include any intervals.

Related to What are some examples of algebras that are not sigma algebras?

1. What is the difference between Algebra and Sigma Algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols. Sigma Algebra is a subset of Algebra that specifically deals with sets and their operations.

2. How are Algebra and Sigma Algebra used in scientific research?

Algebra and Sigma Algebra are used in scientific research to model and solve complex systems and equations. They provide a framework for organizing and analyzing data, making predictions, and testing hypotheses.

3. Can you give an example of a real-world application of Algebra and Sigma Algebra?

One example of a real-world application of Algebra and Sigma Algebra is in statistics and probability. These branches of mathematics use Sigma Algebra to define the sample space and event space, which are important concepts in analyzing and predicting outcomes of experiments.

4. Is Sigma Algebra a more advanced concept than Algebra?

Sigma Algebra builds upon the concepts of Algebra, making it a more advanced and specialized branch of mathematics. It is used in more complex and abstract areas of mathematics, such as measure theory and functional analysis.

5. How can one improve their understanding of Algebra and Sigma Algebra?

One can improve their understanding of Algebra and Sigma Algebra by practicing solving problems, studying the underlying concepts and definitions, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and lectures.