What are some examples of everyday objects that utilize principles of physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding a "cool" and more advanced physics device for an upper level undergraduate class presentation. The original poster asks for ideas, but is reminded to come up with their own ideas first before seeking help. The thread is then locked due to concerns of asking others to do the thinking for them. However, the conversation is reopened and it is suggested to ask questions that lead to finding the answer. The concept of what constitutes a physics device is also mentioned, with examples ranging from a TV remote control to a neutrino detector.
PCSL
Favorite Physics "Device"

For an upper level undergraduate class I need to give a 50 min. presentation on some physics device. Could you guys give me some ideas for some "cool", but more advanced physics devices, such as a Gauss Cannon (they should be things you could pick up). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

PCSL said:
For an upper level undergraduate class I need to give a 50 min. presentation on some physics device. Could you guys give me some ideas for some "cool", but more advanced physics devices, such as a Gauss Cannon (they should be things you could pick up). Thank you!

Per the PF rules, could you give us some more of your own ideas first? You've given one, which is good. But if you could give your top 10 first, then it would be appropriate for us to help you brainstorm more...

berkeman said:
Per the PF rules, could you give us some more of your own ideas first? You've given one, which is good. But if you could give your top 10 first, then it would be appropriate for us to help you brainstorm more...

10 would be more than enough if I could think of that - I thought this was exempt from the PF rules as finding these devices myself wouldn't enhance the learning process. No worries though, I'll just do it myself I guess. You can lock the thread.

PCSL said:
finding these devices myself wouldn't enhance the learning process.

IMHO, it would.

Okay. Thread locked because you want us to do your thinking for you in your schoolwork. Definitely not PF material.

I'd like to re-open this thread because it is such an interesting question. But because it is a schoolwork assignment for you, we shouldn't offer up ideas for answers to the question. Instead, we should be able to ask you questions that lead you to answer the question...

What is a physics device? In a way, a TV remote control is a physics device. On the other end of the spectrum, the neutrino detector buried deep underground was a physics device (and it helped solve one of the most important science puzzles of our generation).

I'll ask again for you to do the work to post your top 10 ideas, and then we can ask more pointed questions to help you in your schoolwork assignment.

Related to What are some examples of everyday objects that utilize principles of physics?

1. What is the purpose of "Favorite Physics Device"?

The purpose of "Favorite Physics Device" is to observe and measure physical phenomena in order to better understand the laws and principles of physics.

2. How does "Favorite Physics Device" work?

"Favorite Physics Device" works by utilizing various scientific principles, such as electromagnetism or thermodynamics, to collect data and make calculations about the physical world.

3. What makes "Favorite Physics Device" unique?

"Favorite Physics Device" may be unique due to its specialized design, advanced technology, or specific applications in the field of physics.

4. What are some common uses for "Favorite Physics Device"?

"Favorite Physics Device" can be used for a variety of purposes, including conducting experiments, making precise measurements, and verifying scientific theories.

5. How has "Favorite Physics Device" contributed to the field of physics?

"Favorite Physics Device" has contributed to the field of physics by providing scientists with accurate and reliable data, leading to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the physical world.