What are some fun and practical applications of high energy particle physics?

• Thread starter The Techno Luddite
  • Start date
In summary, high energy particle physics has many fun and practical applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment, energy production, and space exploration. Through the study and manipulation of subatomic particles, scientists are able to develop advanced technologies and make groundbreaking discoveries that benefit society in various ways. Additionally, high energy particle accelerators are used for fundamental research and have led to the discovery of new particles and the exploration of the fundamental laws of nature. Overall, high energy particle physics has a wide range of practical and exciting applications that continue to push the boundaries of science and technology.
The Techno Luddite
Hello, I was very pleased to find this forum! I live in a bit of a vacuum here regarding physics talk. When I get excited about something new - their eyes quickly glaze over.

I've been a geek all of my life, and a "maker", I love finding quick hacks to solve problems. As a seeming complete opposite to geekdom, I skied professional full time for 16 years. I broke enough bones that my new career in my computer consulting and counter-surveillance business is more forgiving to my body.

I have always loved physics, but just in the last few years really started spending a lot more time learning about, and playing with, physics. And in particular, high energy particle physics. And, as you can imagine, my fiancé is just *thrilled* to come home and find the guest-room table covered in 200lbs of tungsten blocks!

Speaking of fiancé - I need to go! :-) I am looking forward to interacting with folks here!

Cheers,
Todd

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you sir! And, I now get to go back to the kitchen and try to explain to my lady why I need three different Geiger counters :-)