What are some good math periodicals that are easily readable by a wide audience?

In summary, there are a few good math periodicals out there that are easily readable by a wide audience.
E01
Hey, I was just wondering what good math periodicals there are out there. I was looking for something that is readable by a wide audience. I've only taken courses in topology, abstract algebra, and real analysis at the undergraduate level. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
E01 said:
Hey, I was just wondering what good math periodicals there are out there. I was looking for something that is readable by a wide audience. I've only taken courses in topology, abstract algebra, and real analysis at the undergraduate level. Any suggestions?

Hello E01,

They are not exactly periodicals but the various issues of "What's Happening in the Mathematical Sciences" are close to periodicals and they contain excellent articles of interest to anyone with an interest in mathematics and an undergraduate background in mathematics ...

... ... for example ...

What's Happening in the Mathematical Sciences, Volume 9 (What's Happening in the Mathermatical Sciences): Dana Mackenzie: 9780821887394: Amazon.com: Books

Peter

Hi E01,

I think you would enjoy the Mathematics Magazine and the College Math Journal. These are published by the Mathematical Association of America (visit Homepage | Mathematical Association of America). The level of material is generally at the advanced undergraduate level. Both contain problems (which you may attempt to solve for publication) and solutions to previous problems.

All right, I'll check them out. Thanks!

E01 said:

Hi E01, :)

Here are some quite nice math periodicals that I used to read. And they are quite easily readable without a lot of math background.

https://plus.maths.org/content/

Mathematical Spectrum | A Magazine for Students and Teachers of Mathematics

I think you have to buy the spectrum magazine as the articles are not publicly available on the internet. A little more in-depth math can be found in the Rose-Hulman undergraduate journal.

https://www.rose-hulman.edu/mathjournal/

Although I used to read a very nice Canadian undergraduate (or perhaps high school) math journal I cannot remember it's name and can't seem to to find it now. Will post it as soon as I find it. :)

FAQ: What are some good math periodicals that are easily readable by a wide audience?

What are some qualities of a good mathematics magazine?

A good mathematics magazine should have well-written and informative articles that cover a variety of topics, from basic to advanced mathematics. It should also have a diverse range of authors and perspectives, and provide engaging visual aids and examples to help readers better understand the concepts being discussed.

What type of content can I expect to find in a mathematics magazine?

A mathematics magazine typically includes articles on current research, problem-solving techniques, historical developments in mathematics, and applications of mathematics in other fields. Some magazines may also include puzzles, games, and interviews with notable mathematicians.

How can reading a mathematics magazine benefit me?

Reading a mathematics magazine can help improve your problem-solving skills, expand your knowledge of mathematical concepts, and keep you updated on the latest developments in the field. It can also provide inspiration and new perspectives on how mathematics is used in various industries and everyday life.

Are there mathematics magazines specifically for beginners or experts?

Yes, there are mathematics magazines that cater to both beginners and experts. Some magazines may have a mix of content for all levels, while others may focus on a particular level of expertise. It's important to research and find a magazine that best fits your current level of understanding.

How can I access a mathematics magazine?

Mathematics magazines can be accessed through various means, such as online subscriptions, print subscriptions, or purchasing individual issues. Some magazines may also offer free online content or have digital versions available for purchase. Additionally, many libraries and universities have subscriptions to mathematics magazines that can be accessed for free by members.