What are Some Good Resources for Learning Advanced Physics?

• Thread starter darkSun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: If not, I'd recommend the first few. They are a bit math-heavy, but you don't need too much math to understand them. I also think there's a nice solution manual available.You've got the first few lectures! They're a bit math-heavy, but you don't need too much math to understand them. There's also a solution manual available.
darkSun
Just a few questions, I apologize if they have been asked before, but the search isn't working on my computer with its horrible internet.

For Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles, what level of math would you need to understand it? And what more would you need to learn after it to learn the Standard Model? I think QFT is something you'd need to learn, but what are the prerequisites for that? Aside from QM of course.

Also, would you recommend any PDE books to self-study from? There are a few on Amazon, but I haven't made a decision yet.

About linear algebra, have any of you read Poole's book? It seems like the best one on amazon. And amazon is going to be where I get all my resources, seeing as I'm an 11th grader.

Lastly, I'm looking at MIT's opencourseware to see what prerequisites I'd need for some relatively advanced courses (I'm just talking about zwiebach's string theory, even though I'm nowhere near that yet), and do I really need statistical mechanics for zwiebach? If so, what would be a good resource to learn it from? Or is QM enough?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
The PDE book by Farlow is nice for self-study.

For a book on particle physics, it's not so much the math background you need as the physics background that's important.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have a pretty good background in qualitative physics, since I've read so many books. Can you use Introduction to Elementary Particles as a stepping stone to something bigger?

Wow, that is tantalizing. A solutions manual would be very helpful. Hmmmm, I really want to learn this stuff, but maybe I can work on something else until March. Thanks for all the help Daverz.

darkSun said:
Wow, that is tantalizing. A solutions manual would be very helpful. Hmmmm, I really want to learn this stuff, but maybe I can work on something else until March. Thanks for all the help Daverz.

Have you got the Feynman Lectures yet?

FAQ: What are Some Good Resources for Learning Advanced Physics?

1. What is the best way to choose a book to read?

The best way to choose a book to read is to consider your personal interests and preferences. You can also ask for recommendations from friends, family, or book clubs. Online reviews and ratings can also be helpful in finding a book that you may enjoy.

2. How do I find the right book for my child?

Finding the right book for your child depends on their age, reading level, and interests. You can consult with a children's librarian or teacher for recommendations. You can also read reviews and summaries to determine if a book is appropriate for your child.

3. How do I know if a book is worth reading?

There is no definitive way to determine if a book is worth reading, as everyone's preferences and opinions may differ. However, you can read reviews, check ratings, and read the synopsis to get a sense of the book's content and style to see if it aligns with your interests.

4. What should I do if I don't understand a book?

If you don't understand a book, you can try re-reading sections, taking notes, or looking up words or concepts that are unfamiliar to you. You can also discuss the book with someone who has read it or consult a study guide or online resources for further understanding.

5. How do I find books on a specific topic?

You can find books on a specific topic by using a library catalog or online bookstore. You can also search for book lists or recommendations from reputable sources. Additionally, you can consult with a librarian or bookstore employee for assistance in finding books on a specific topic.