What Are Some Good Resources for Refreshing on Probability and Statistics?

• Thread starter pergradus
  • Start date
In summary: He's a Junior physics/math dual major and he's going to be taking statistical mechanics and some other higher level physics courses next semester where he would really like to brush up on his probability and statistics. In summary, Jason needs a refresher starting from the ground up on probability and statistics. Some suggestions include books and websites.
pergradus
So my probability and stat knowledge is pathetically weak. I'm a Junior physics/math dual major and I'm going to be taking statistical mechanics and some other higher level physics courses next semester where I would really like to brush up on my probability and statistics.

I really think I need a refresher starting from the ground up - any suggestions on books or good websites for this? I don't need a huge thorough introduction - something more dense and meant for a higher-level reader as opposed to a freshmen or high school student would be better.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want something meant for a higher-level reader, then I got two books to recommend:

1) "Probability and measure" by Billingsley. This is about the best book on probability theory out there. But it's no book for softies. I suggest skipping the first section, which is kind of confusing.

2) "Statistical Inference" by Casella and Berger. A very good and rigorous stat book.

A very concise book that I really like is "all of statistics" by Wasserman. From your brief description of what you are looking for it might be the best fit. You can look at sections of it on amazon.

You might want to check out free ebooks as well.

a nice free calculus-based probability book is:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/book.html

A couple of free books by Ash, one on probability theory (with one chapter on stats), and one on stats, can be found here:
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/
These are at an advanced undergrad level. I don't think they are the easiest reads, but they are reasonably good.

A popular graduate level probability theory book by Durrett can be found at his web site:
http://www.math.duke.edu/~rtd/PTE/pte.html

Even more free books can be found at:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=15
and the "probability" and "statistics" subcategories. You might find what you are looking for there.

My favorite fr/soph level book is "a first course in probability" by Ross. I took a course out of the 3rd edition - which you can find used for cheap! It has no statistics in it, though.

At least in the US, both of the books micromass suggests are usually used in graduate level courses. Billingsly is beyond me, but I really like Casella and Berger - it could certainly be used by an undergrad if they were a little motivated. I have the first edition, and the second edition looks even better (is NOT cheap). A little easier (and old fashioned) probability and statistics book that can also be found much cheaper is "Introduction to Mathematical Statistics" by Hogg and Craig. I picked up a used copy of the 5th edition for a few dollars and I think it is quite good.

Happy reading!

Jason

FAQ: What Are Some Good Resources for Refreshing on Probability and Statistics?

1. What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring. It involves analyzing and predicting the outcomes of random events. Statistics, on the other hand, is the science of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting numerical data. It is used to make informed decisions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample.

2. What is the fundamental principle of probability?

The fundamental principle of probability states that the probability of an event is the ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the total number of possible outcomes. In other words, it is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring.

3. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing a set of data using measures such as mean, median, and standard deviation. It is used to gain an understanding of the data and to identify patterns and trends. Inferential statistics, on the other hand, involves making predictions and generalizations about a larger population based on a smaller sample of data.

4. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution, also known as a Gaussian distribution, is a symmetrical bell-shaped curve that represents the distribution of a data set. It is characterized by its mean, median, and mode all being equal, and approximately 68% of the data falling within one standard deviation from the mean, and 95% within two standard deviations.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in various fields such as finance, insurance, sports, and medicine to make predictions and informed decisions. For example, insurance companies use probability to calculate premiums, and doctors use probability to determine the effectiveness of treatments. In everyday life, we use probability to make decisions such as whether to take an umbrella on a cloudy day or to choose a different route to work to avoid traffic.