What are some potential ideas for a particle physics project involving biology?

• Thread starter Summerfishes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a particle system would be a good place to start. Proton pumps may also be a good place to start. Carbon dating could also be a good starting point.
Summerfishes
I am looking for some suggestions what I should do. I intend do a project about particles in universe but I don't know what to do, to start.
I am thinking of particles application relating to biology if possible? Could you please think up something or me to start ? and what to thinkof it ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Proton pumps?

Summerfishes said:
I am looking for some suggestions what I should do. I intend do a project about particles in universe but I don't know what to do, to start.
I am thinking of particles application relating to biology if possible? Could you please think up something or me to start ? and what to thinkof it ?

Thank you
How about building a particle system ? source code is available at nehe (gamedev.net) webpage .

By the way, I haven't seen yet any points as to how particles have anything in common with biology ? Or what you meant I guess might be molecular dynamics in Artificial intelligence or artificial life ?

photo synthesis by plants ==> electron, photon

amino acid structure.

Proton pumps?

You know...

Pumps... for protons.

I'm waiting for the Burma Shave punchline.

Maybe try modelling a particle collider? Let people choose the particle they want to collide, choose their energy and all. Maybe you can have some default settings, let maybe some defaults start from earlier colliders, then gradually move on to newer ones such as the LEP or the LHC. Then perhaps show the tracks coming out, and which track stand for which particle etc. etc.

More seriously, why not discuss carbon dating? This nicely links nuclear physics with biology.

misogynisticfeminist said:
Maybe try modelling a particle collider? Let people choose the particle they want to collide, choose their energy and all. Maybe you can have some default settings, let maybe some defaults start from earlier colliders, then gradually move on to newer ones such as the LEP or the LHC. Then perhaps show the tracks coming out, and which track stand for which particle etc. etc.

That's a whole lot of work... You've just got to look at the source code for Pythia / JetSet / Pandora / SGV to see how hard it is!

Related to What are some potential ideas for a particle physics project involving biology?

1. What are "physics particles"?

Physics particles are subatomic particles that make up the building blocks of matter and energy. These particles include protons, neutrons, electrons, and other elementary particles that are studied in the field of physics.

2. What is the purpose of studying physics particles?

The study of physics particles helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. This knowledge is essential for advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

3. What is the difference between particles and antiparticles?

Particles and antiparticles are essentially the same, except for their opposite charge. For example, an electron has a negative charge, while a positron (the antiparticle of an electron) has a positive charge. When a particle and antiparticle collide, they annihilate each other and release energy.

4. How are particles classified in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model classifies particles into two categories: fermions and bosons. Fermions are particles that make up matter, such as quarks and leptons. Bosons are particles that carry forces, such as photons and gluons.

5. What is the Large Hadron Collider and why is it important for studying physics particles?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It collides protons at high energies to recreate conditions that existed in the early universe. This allows scientists to study the behavior of particles and test theories about the fundamental nature of matter and energy.