What are some recommended books for challenging multivariable calculus problems?

In summary, the conversation is about a student taking multivariable calculus from a challenging teacher who is known for giving difficult tests and guaranteeing a high level of learning. The student is looking for another calculus book to supplement their studies and two recommendations are made - "Multivariable Calculus" by Edwards and Penney and "How to Ace the Rest of Calculus" by Adams and Thompson.
Miike012
This semester I am taking multivariable calculus - studying from the stewart calculus book. Anyways the teacher that I am taking is known for giving ridiculously hard tests and in general his class is really tough, however he gaurantees I will learn more in his math class than I would have taking the same course from another teacher.. in fact math teachers from other schools recommend their engineering students to take him. Also his class must be very challenging because he said he would give a letter of recommendation if anyone can get an A in his class...
Anyways I am trying to find another calc book to read from (along with the stewart book) to get a wider variety of problems that are more difficult than stewarts... Can anyone recommend a book? thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What are some recommended books for challenging multivariable calculus problems?

What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It involves the study of limits, derivatives, and integrals of functions with two or more independent variables.

Why is a multivariable calculus book important for scientists?

A multivariable calculus book is important for scientists because it provides a framework for understanding and solving problems that involve multiple variables. Many scientific disciplines, such as physics, engineering, and economics, rely on multivariable calculus to model and analyze complex systems.

What topics are typically covered in a multivariable calculus book?

A multivariable calculus book typically covers topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and optimization. It may also include applications to physics, engineering, and other fields.

What are some resources for learning multivariable calculus?

There are many resources available for learning multivariable calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. Online platforms such as Khan Academy and Coursera offer free multivariable calculus courses.

How can I apply multivariable calculus in my research?

Multivariable calculus can be applied in various research areas, such as physics, economics, and computer science. It can be used to model and analyze complex systems, optimize functions, and solve differential equations. Consult with your advisor or colleagues to see how multivariable calculus can be applied in your specific research field.