What are some recommended introductory books on quantum mechanics?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a book on quantum mechanics to read over the break. They have a limited background in math and science and are not looking for a book that is too mathematically challenging. They have heard that "Introducing Quantum Theory" by McEvoy is a good introduction, but they are open to other suggestions. They are directed to check out the Science Book Reviews forum for more recommendations.
Fizzicist
I am looking for a book on QM to read over the break. I'm not sure what kind of math and science is required to learn QM, but I've only had math through linear algebra and differential equations, and I haven't studied any atomic physics yet. Also, I don't want a book that is too mathematically rigorous to read over break. I'd rather read a book that is intellectually stimulating but not too demanding. I've read that "Introducing Quantum Theory" by McEvoy isn't a bad introduction to the concepts of QM, but I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you check out our Science Book Reviews forum (a sub-forum of Academic & Career Guidance). You should be able to find quickly some threads about QM books there.

Thank you for your inquiry. I would recommend "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. This book is a great introductory text that covers the basics of quantum mechanics without requiring advanced mathematics. It also provides a clear and engaging explanation of the fundamental concepts of QM. Another option is "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine, which also offers a good balance between conceptual understanding and mathematical rigor. Both of these books are excellent choices for someone with a background in linear algebra and differential equations. I hope this helps and happy reading!

FAQ: What are some recommended introductory books on quantum mechanics?

1. What is the best introductory quantum mechanics textbook for beginners?

There are many great introductory quantum mechanics textbooks available, but some of the most highly recommended options include "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar.

2. Which textbook is the most comprehensive and thorough for learning quantum mechanics?

The most comprehensive and thorough introductory quantum mechanics textbook is often considered to be "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, and Frank Laloë. It covers a wide range of topics and includes detailed explanations and examples.

3. What is the recommended background knowledge for understanding an introductory quantum mechanics textbook?

An understanding of basic calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is typically recommended for understanding an introductory quantum mechanics textbook. Some knowledge of electromagnetism and special relativity may also be helpful.

4. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance the learning experience from an introductory quantum mechanics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials available for introductory quantum mechanics textbooks. Some popular options include video lectures, practice problems and solutions, interactive simulations, and online discussion forums.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand an introductory quantum mechanics textbook?

While a strong background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand an introductory quantum mechanics textbook. Many textbooks provide a thorough explanation of the necessary concepts, and with dedication and effort, anyone can grasp the fundamentals of quantum mechanics.