What are some recommended textbooks for physics and math studies?

In summary, the best physics and math textbooks for an OP looking to cover calculus from the beginning are Feynman's Lectures and Infinitum's suggestion of First Course in Calculus by Serge Lang.
balmung2
I am currently looking for suggestions on physics and maths textbooks. The math textbook must cover calculus from the beginning. It can cover multiple subjects, or calculus-only, it does not matter as long as it is clear and easy to understand. The physics textbook must cover high school subjects. Preferably it will continue to cover university-level subjects as well. If one book can not cover both levels of physics subjects, I would be grateful if you could leave suggestions for multiple textbooks which cover high school and university level subjects between them.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi balmung2! Welcome to PF.

For physics :

Feynman lectures (the best)
Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday Resnick(probably best suited for you)
Conceptual Physics - Hewitt (quite less math requirement)

Math:
First course in Calculus by Serge Lang (preferable)
Stewart's Calculus

Once you have done one of these, do Calculus by Michael Spivak, or Tom Apostol.

Hey Balmung,

For physics text, I second Infinitum's suggestion of Feynman's Lectures. For math books I suggest you start off with:
What is Mathematics - Richard Courant. This book covers a wide variety of subjects without losing depth in any.
If you just want to learn calculus use Spivak's Calculus.
I have to disagree with Infinitum's suggestion of Stewart's Calculus. The book does not motivate any discussions and does not convey why calculus works at all. It will only give you a superficial understanding of the material after you are through with it.

SolsticeFire said:
Hey Balmung,

For physics text, I second Infinitum's suggestion of Feynman's Lectures. For math books I suggest you start off with:
What is Mathematics - Richard Courant. This book covers a wide variety of subjects without losing depth in any.
If you just want to learn calculus use Spivak's Calculus.
I have to disagree with Infinitum's suggestion of Stewart's Calculus. The book does not motivate any discussions and does not convey why calculus works at all. It will only give you a superficial understanding of the material after you are through with it.

That's why I added a 'preferable' tag to Serge Lang's book, its way better. I think before you start out Spivak, unless you are quite good at math, you need to have a basic understanding of the subject, and Lang's book provides this quite perfectly.

Being a high school student, like the OP, I learned the calculus basics from Stewart before switching to Spivak, and now, though I absolutely hate Stewart, I find the things I learned assisting me through Spivak's book, but maybe that's just me...:smile:

I highly recommend the following textbooks for your physics and math studies:

1. "University Physics" by Young and Freedman - This textbook covers both high school and university level physics topics in a clear and comprehensive manner. It includes a wide range of examples, problems, and applications to help you understand the concepts.

2. "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart - This textbook covers calculus from the beginning and is suitable for both high school and university level students. It provides a thorough understanding of the subject with plenty of practice problems and real-world applications.

3. "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker - This textbook is a classic and has been used by many universities for their physics courses. It covers high school and university level topics in a detailed and easy-to-understand manner. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to reinforce your understanding.

4. "Calculus" by Michael Spivak - If you are looking for a more rigorous and challenging textbook for calculus, I highly recommend this one. It covers the subject in-depth and is suitable for advanced high school and university level students.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your search for the perfect physics and math textbooks. Remember to always choose a textbook that suits your learning style and provides a solid foundation for your studies. Best of luck!

FAQ: What are some recommended textbooks for physics and math studies?

1. What is the difference between a Physics textbook and a Math textbook?

While both Physics and Math textbooks cover topics related to science and numbers, they each focus on different aspects. Physics textbooks typically cover concepts related to the physical world, such as mechanics, electricity, and thermodynamics. Math textbooks, on the other hand, focus on mathematical concepts and operations, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning Physics and Math?

There are many textbooks available for learning Physics and Math, and the recommended ones may vary depending on the level of proficiency and specific topics you are interested in. It is best to consult with your teacher or professor for their recommendations.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in Math to understand Physics textbooks?

Having a strong foundation in math is definitely helpful for understanding Physics textbooks, as many concepts in Physics involve mathematical equations and calculations. However, it is possible to learn the math concepts as you go along with your Physics studies.

4. Are there any interactive features in Physics and Math textbooks?

Many modern Physics and Math textbooks now come with interactive features, such as online simulations, videos, and practice quizzes. These features can help students engage with the material and enhance their understanding of the concepts.

5. Can I use older editions of Physics and Math textbooks?

Using older editions of textbooks may be possible, but it is generally recommended to use the most recent edition. This is because newer editions may have updated information and improved explanations, which can be beneficial for understanding the material. However, if the content and topics covered are the same, using an older edition may still be a viable option.