What are some useful programs for beginners to create?

• Thread starter Kuhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the conversation was about a beginner programmer looking for suggestions on what to create. One suggestion was to create a resume builder that checks for grammar and spelling errors and offers resume templates. Another idea was to create a utility for manipulating flat files.
Kuhan
I'm a beginner so I can only make very basic programs.
I don't want to waste time making games so please ask me to make some useful thing thanks!
http://eraserboxtips.blogspot.com/2012/12/make-me-program-website.html for more details, though you could just post on this forum instead

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Hmm... one thing that might be of general use to people is a resume builder that asks specific questions about skills, experience, objectives, and education and then checks the supplied responses for grammer and spelling and builds a word document using one of a few styles that the user selects. Would allow you to get programming experience interfacing with MS word or open office, and potentialy provide a nice tool for job seekers that have difficulty formatting their own resume. You could perhaps expand the project to include an SQL database that contains job skills that can be recommended to the user to add to their resume (if they have those skills), based on some criteria. For example, a programmer might put down the various languages that they can program in, but forget to add in that they know how to use MS office and E-mail (skills that an IT employer would consider mandatory), and your program could recommend those skills to the user and add them if they accept.

I found in my early days that being able to make various manipulations on any kind of flat file was very useful so I wrote a massive utility to do all those things. If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, PM me for details.

Related to What are some useful programs for beginners to create?

1. How long will it take to create a program?

The time it takes to create a program depends on the complexity of the program and the experience of the programmer. It could take anywhere from a few hours to several months.

2. What programming language will be used to create the program?

The programming language used will depend on the requirements and needs of the program. Some common languages include Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript.

3. Can the program be customized and updated in the future?

Yes, the program can be customized and updated in the future. It is important to design the program in a way that allows for easy updates and modifications.

4. Will I have ownership of the program once it is created?

Yes, once the program is created, you will have ownership of it. However, the programmer may retain certain rights, such as the right to use the program for their portfolio or future projects.

5. How will the program be tested for bugs and errors?

The program will go through a series of testing and debugging processes to ensure that it is free of bugs and errors. This may include unit testing, integration testing, and user acceptance testing.