What are the Abelian Groups of Order 1000 Containing Specific Elements?

• MHB
  • Thread starter GreenGoblin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary: So the only group of order 1000 with exactly 124 elements of order 5 is:Z4 x Z2 x Z5 x Z5 x Z5In summary, to determine all abelian groups of order 1000, one must use the Fundamental Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups and consider the possible combinations of groups with orders 8 and 125. From there, one can determine which groups contain exactly 3 elements of order two and which groups contain exactly 124 elements of order five. The only possible groups that qualify are Z4 x Z2 x Z125, Z4 x Z2 x Z25 x Z5, and Z4 x Z2 x Z5 x Z5 x Z5
GreenGoblin
"determine all abelian groups of order 1000. which of them contains exactly 3 elements of order two and which of them contain exactly 124 elements of order five?"

ok now I have all the terminology down for this. But its the first time attempting such a type of question. How do I go about this please? I know it has to do with products of primes but I am not sure what exactly its referring to by i.e. 3 elements of order two? what are the elements, is it the primes? how do i find out if i have all the combinations, rather than just repeated trial and error. for example i can make 2^3 * 5^5 = 1000, but how will i know i found all of them? is this even the right procedure? i think so... that it is

Gracias,
GreenGoblin

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenGoblin said:
"determine all abelian groups of order 1000. which of them contains exactly 3 elements of order two and which of them contain exactly 124 elements of order five?"

ok now I have all the terminology down for this. But its the first time attempting such a type of question. How do I go about this please? I know it has to do with products of primes but I am not sure what exactly its referring to by i.e. 3 elements of order two? what are the elements, is it the primes? how do i find out if i have all the combinations, rather than just repeated trial and error. for example i can make 2^3 * 5^5 = 1000, but how will i know i found all of them? is this even the right procedure? i think so... that it is

Gracias,
GreenGoblin

Look up "Fundamental Theorem of finitely Generated Abelian Groups". You will find it in any standard UG text ( eg Herstein's book). From there it wouldn't be difficult.

if G has order 1000, we can write G as H x K, where H has order 8, and K has order 125.

there are 3 possible abelian groups of order 8, namely: Z8, Z4 x Z2, and Z2 x Z2 x Z2, and 3 possible abelian groups of order 125, Z125, Z25 x Z5 and Z5 x Z5 (up to isomorphism, of course). mix and match, that gives us 9 possible abelian groups of order 1000.

it should be clear that elements of order 2 can only live in the "H" part, and the "K" part has to be the identity element of K. so look at how many elements of order 2 are in Z8, Z4 x Z2 and Z2 x Z2 x Z2.

Z8 has but a single element of order 2, namely 4.
every non-identity of Z2 x Z2 x Z2 has order 2, which gives us 7 of them.

that leaves just Z4 x Z2. prove that (2,0), (2,1), and (0,1) are the only elements of order 2, and you're done:

Z4 x Z2 x Z125
Z4 x Z2 x Z25 x Z5
Z4 x Z2 x Z5 x Z5 x Z5 must be the only groups that qualify.

for elements of order 5, use the same reasoning. of our 3 groups of order 125, only Z5 x Z5 x Z5 has 124 elements of order 5 (both Z125 and Z25 x Z5 contain elements of order > 5).

Related to What are the Abelian Groups of Order 1000 Containing Specific Elements?

What is an abelian group?

An abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation (usually denoted as +) that satisfies the commutative property, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined does not affect the result. This group is named after the mathematician Niels Henrik Abel and is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra.

What is the order of an abelian group?

The order of an abelian group refers to the number of elements in the group. It is also known as the cardinality of the group. The order is always a positive integer and can be finite or infinite.

How do you determine the order of an abelian group?

The order of an abelian group can be determined by counting the number of distinct elements in the group. For a finite group, this can be done by listing out all the elements and counting them. For an infinite group, it can be more challenging and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

What is the significance of the order of an abelian group?

The order of an abelian group is significant because it is a fundamental property that helps to classify and understand the group. It can also provide information about the structure and behavior of the group, such as the number of subgroups and the possible orders of elements within the group.

Are there any real-life applications of the order of abelian groups?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of the order of abelian groups. For example, it is used in cryptography to generate secure encryption keys, in coding theory to design error-correcting codes, and in physics to describe symmetry groups and conservation laws. It is also applicable in various branches of mathematics, including number theory and geometry.